Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surgeon Scalpel LA in AI AXAICS vs. AI AX-MC .300 System

Feedback Score

Surgeon Scalpel LA in AI AXAICS vs. AI AX-MC .300 System

OK, I'm about ready to decide on a precision bolt rig. The purpose of this tool is to engage man-sized targets out to 1250 meters. I've chosen .300 Win Mag because I already have precision .308 and .338LM bases covered. I've decided on on these 2 rifles: a custom Surgeon Scalpel long action bedded in an AI AXAICS Mk2 chassis vs. the AI AX-MC .300 system. The Surgeon is spec 'ed as follows:

Stock Color/Pattern: AI AXAICS Mk2 (the latest generation released in 2014 http://www.eurooptic.com/accuracy-in...s-ax-2014.aspx)
    Action: 1086 LA
    Barrel: Heavy Palma
    Barrel Length: 26
    Trigger: Jewell 2.5lb
    Price: $5500

The AI AX-MC .300 system is an all-AI system with the same AXAICS chassis and AI action, trigger, quick-change barrel, etc. It's priced at roughly $8,600.

I'm down to these two because I really, really liked the new AXAICS chassis when I shouldered it on a 308.

So, here is my question: is the $3,000 price diffence due to the added quick-change barrel capability on the AX-MC, or is the AI's action, trigger, barrel, etc. superior to the Surgeon? If the added $3,000 is just the quick change capability, then I'll pass. However, if the consensus is that AI's action, trigger, barrel, accuracy, and overall performance is better, then I might be convinced to cough up the extra cash.

FWIW, I've fired both AI and Surgeon short action builds about 5 years ago, and do not recall one being clearly superior. I have zero experience with either companies long action rifles.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-28-16 at 00:54.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    The AI is way better. I'm not going to argue it's worth $8k but it's definitely better top to bottom. The action is better and it is better made. And the action-to-stock connection is better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    The AI is way better. I'm not going to argue it's worth $8k but it's definitely better top to bottom. The action is better and it is better made. And the action-to-stock connection is better.
    Damn you, Sir. Damn you straight to hell.

I just called EuroOptic. AX-MC is inbound...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    I'm partial to AIs like I am partial to in golf Ping Irons, I think should 'hit' better with them, though it might not actually be true. Just saying that in light of my next question about why over the past few years, there seems to be a move in the PRS shooters (and top shooters) to High-end Remy 700 clones in Manners/McMillian stocks? It seems 5+ years ago it was dominated by AI rifles and S&B scopes- not so much anymore?

Like the thread about the LEO trying to be talked into a AI-AT, the AIs are a complete out the door package. Two-stage trigger (like), barrel swap (Like) and I could probably almost walk an AI to MileHigh if I had issues. The AIs trigger specs look a little heavy, don't know how much you can turn it down. I'm lusting after a Tubb T7 trigger right now.

The price difference might also be because you are looking at the MC and not the standard SA action? I was pricing out AIs a few weeks ago (told you I was partial to them) and I thought there was a pretty hefty premium to go from the standard AX to the AXMC.

Sensei- aren't you a doc? How could you not get a Scalpel action or the Hospitaller rifle!!!
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

Sensei- aren't you a doc? How could you not get a Scalpel action or the Hospitaller rifle!!!
    Yeah, that crossed my mind a few times.

The trigger is adjustable for length of pull and weight down to 3.3 lbs. My GAP HRT and Desert Tech SRS are at 2.5 and just under 3 lbs respectively. I would never go below 2.5 lbs in a tactical rifle. I didn't notice the AX308 that I shouldered last week to be noticibly heavier at 3.3lbs than my GAP or SRS.

As for the PRS shooters, technology is moving very fast. Surgeon actions dominated the top shooters until recently, but this past year we saw a sudden disturbance in The Force as Defiance took the lead (AI was the 3rd most popular). Even the precision optics game is rapidly changing as manifest by GAP telling me last week that they no longer recommend or carry S&B due to a rash of reliability issues over the past year.

Finally, I think that AI has been a little asleep at the wheel until recently. The AX line in 2014 is a step in the right direction. Plus, AI invests a lot in building a rugged, dependable rifle - this is not necessarily what wins one way shooting competitions. Having said that, there are videos of Frank and Larry banging steel to 2000 meters with an AXMC 338 LM topped with a NF BEAST. That just shows that 2 companies known for bombproof durability can make the necessary arrow as long as the indian is up to the task.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-31-16 at 01:56.

Feedback Score
    I see it a little different. I shot in the first PRS match 5 years ago and I'd say matches back then were dominated by surgeons and McMillan stocks and s&b scopes. I think AI is just a little pricey for most folks. The old chassis didn't lend itself to barricades. A lot of people don't like the trigger (preference, it was viewed as a great working gun trigger not a race gun bench rest trigger) and frankly there's just something about having an actual gunsmith custom build something for you. (Even though the AIs are usually in stock)

As for McMillan they are getting overtaken by a thousand chassis manufacturers all of which are heavier but usually offer features you can't easily duplicate in fiberglass. MPA XLR and JP for examples.

I'd say "rash of reliability issues" pretty much covers why only people sponsored by s&b are using them today but it has been going on for years. Unfortunately information in the firearms world is dominated by fan boys and you can't share legitimate issues on web forums without getting a beat down by retards and then the thread disappeared. Can't beat the glass though.

It's still not safe to talk about surgeons.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I think that we see things eye to eye. You listed some specific examples of the concepts that I was mentioning.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Very interesting talk. A world of fine instrumentation. One of these days I'm going to buy a premium action and do a full custom build out. very cool stuff.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Oh snap!

image.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Oh snap!

image.jpg
    The bomb has been dropped. Nice

How you going to keep your women quiet ?
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-03-16 at 17:43.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast