Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Bullet placement to take down Black bear

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cop View Post
    Thnx alot. yes this a sport kill. i would like to hunt with my son when he is a little bit older. thanks again, there is nothing like the opinion from a skilled hunter
    I am definitely not a skilled hunter lol, I just have lots of experience around black bears.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I am definitely not a skilled hunter lol, I just have lots of experience around black bears.
    well thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I wouldn't go under a 30 cal for a clean kill imho. I grew up around black bears. 99% of time they are skittish, and afraid of humans. Obviously you injure one, or get between a mother and it's babies it's a whole other story. The meat is garbage, and you will probably only want sausage out of it, so this is most likely a sport kill. Most of the guys I grew up with that hunted them used 308's or 30-06. Hide isn't crazy tough, but I still think a 223 is a bit underpowered for them.
    The meat depends what they've been eating. Interior AK bears make pretty good BBQ and even roasts, but yeah mostly sausages.

I wouldn't take to the woods in pursuit of one with a 5.56, bad angle or bad shot on a med/big bear puts a lot of meat and heavy bone between you and the vitals, they are not fun to track wounded. The pics in that link are good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might use a .223 with really good bullets (monolithic coppers) for a bear hunt if someone made me...but I'd choose a rifle with a heavier projectil and more overall energy if at all possible. A .30-30, 6.8SPC, or even 7.62X39 would be a better choice by virtue of offering an substantially increased chance of a humane kill and a reasonable chance of anchoring the animal if your shot placement is less than perfect. Even better, step up a bit in terms of cartridge energy and run a .243.

Or, you can be a boring old Fudd like me and use a .308 for your grocery shopping. It ain't sexy....but I can buy ammo for it on the wrong side of the tracks in Smackover, Arkansas and with shot placement that is even reasonable it'll do a good job of anchoring black bear, feral hogs, mule deer, antelope, white tail deer, elk, moose....you get the picture.

Feedback Score
    put one in the neck, and it will go down

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    This thread was opened by a known thief and scammer, no point in replying to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12