Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AKOU Radical Firearms failure at 4310 rounds

Feedback Score
    The cam pin broke. That made the weapon inoperable.

Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Gas rings went south, and the RIFLE is bad? Not saying anything about Radical Firearms, but gas rings are a "consumable" ... I choose to replace mine every 2,500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    The cam pin broke. That made the weapon inoperable.
    Yeah, what you can see in the vid is there was no tension at all during the gas ring / bolt test ... they were completely worn and offered no resistance

Since there was no seal of gas to buffer the bolt, it was slamming itself to death ... and first to die was the cam pin.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Yeah, what you can see in the vid is there was no tension at all during the gas ring / bolt test ... they were completely worn and offered no resistance

Since there was no seal of gas to buffer the bolt, it was slamming itself to death ... and first to die was the cam pin.
    I don't think tension from the gas rings is the difference between normal operation and a bcg slamming itself to death. I would argue that loose gas rings would lead to less brisk movement of the bcg due to gas leakage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I don't think tension from the gas rings is the difference between normal operation and a bcg slamming itself to death. I would argue that loose gas rings would lead to less brisk movement of the bcg due to gas leakage.
    I agree, you're right about that. And with loose rings, there's more "inaccurate" movement of the bolt ... not pure fore & aft movement but some side-to-side movement that's going to put a strain on that cam bolt / cam'ing action.

I think of an ARs gas rings exactly like the piston rings on my my two stroke engine dirt bike I used to have ... when the rings were worn you could hear and feel the rattle / piston slap vibration. Over time, you lose power, start putting a strain on the wrist pin, connecting rod and so on.

That's the slamming itself to death I was referring to.

Doesn't matter how cheap or expensive your AR is ... gas rings are a maintenance item, pure and simple.

Change 'em regularly and keep the gun running top notch and prevent wear and tear
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-27-17 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I give up, who is Rob?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I give up, who is Rob?
    Rob Ski, he is the guy in the video doing the testing

There are lots of places to save some money on an AR....the BCG isn't one of them. Gas rings shouldn't wear out that fast and the cam pin shouldn't break that early either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's a major fail for the company. I wonder if they will pressure him to do a part two and try to dig themselves out of that hole.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm actually surprised it lasted that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What do people expect out of this? I am looking at the price on this gun and I see $600-800 with a "free" 300 Blackout upper. How are these not made out of parts spewed out the ass end of the industry supply chain?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    With Colt OEMs bring had for 700 bucks I'm not seeing the point here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast