Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Priming Tool

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm going to have to get one of these. I run a Dillon 550, but much of the time I'm priming rifle brass as a separate process anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Own two lees here. If it breaks I'll buy another one, I got my moneys worth thats for sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    Wow - Lee here as well - mainly .45 since my Lee 1000 press absolutely sucks as a progressive loader and has been demoted over the years. Biggest issue is the priming on that press sucks and can bring your process to a hault, hence I:
    1) deprime first pass with the 1000.
    2) hand prime.
    3) use the 1000 for the second pass for powder/bullet seating.

So, back to it. I use the Lee hand primer.

This is why I sold my progressive press and ordered a turret press. I have yet to find a progressive press that has a reliable primer system. I prefer to work more slowly and get 100% results.

Feedback Score
    +1 for the LEE auto prime. great tool and easy to use.
    Drop 'em where they stand, leave 'em where they lay.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went through three Lees. The handle broke on all three even with lube. I recently converted to the RCBS Universal priming tool. I bought two and set one up for small primers and one for large. The spring loaded shell holder fits all so you don't have to buy shell holders or change them out. I've only had them a couple of months but so far they are great.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would recommend the K&M hand priming tool. It is a step above most others except possibly the expensive Sinclair model. The K&M unit uses the inexpensive Lee shellholders. I keep a pair of K&Ms on hand so one is always ready for .223 brass.

I had one of the RCBS hand primers for many years, but it finally broke.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    This is why I sold my progressive press and ordered a turret press. I have yet to find a progressive press that has a reliable primer system. I prefer to work more slowly and get 100% results.

I agree to a point. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though. The Dillon priming systems work when they're clean and new, but yeah... After mashing many primers and seating them upside down... I run the priming system manually so I can watch the little bitch for every primer.

I've definitely gotten to where I'll trade of speed and volume of ammo for quality too! It's a maturing process.... plus the price of components is conducive to this philosophy!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have been using the lee without any problems.

Feedback Score
    I've used the Lee for 7.62x54R AND .45ACP with no problems. It really gives you a good feel for primer depth.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I agree to a point. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though. The Dillon priming systems work when they're clean and new, but yeah... After mashing many primers and seating them upside down... I run the priming system manually so I can watch the little bitch for every primer.

I've definitely gotten to where I'll trade of speed and volume of ammo for quality too! It's a maturing process.... plus the price of components is conducive to this philosophy!
    Agreed. I load more slowly now. I enjoy my time at the bench more. Less wasted components also. If I were to ever go back to a progressive I would de cap and hand prime first

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast