Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I shoot my M&P Shield 9mm terrible

Feedback Score

I shoot my M&P Shield 9mm terrible

Granted..............I am not the best pistol shooter in the world.........far from it. But with my 1911's (all in 45acp, all 5" guns) and my other striker fired polymer 9mm (Ruger SR9) I can make one ragged hole at 10 yards with cheap ball ammo, or my plinking grade handloads.

At 10 yards with the Shield, I can keep them on paper...........but groups are more like "patterns"...........when I do buckle down and get it grouping halfway decent, I get the old "low and left" problem normally associated with jerking the trigger.............but I am not (or at least I don't think I am, as I don't have this problem with the other guns).

The gun has been 100% reliable, it eat's everything I feed it, the trigger feels fine to me ( I like the SR9 trigger better), recoil is not an issue, it fits my hand well, and is comfortable to carry.

I really want to like this gun, but so far I can't shoot it worth a darn. I probably don't practice with it as much as I should, as I get frustrated with my performance with it often, and just pick up something else I have brought along and go about shooting that with much more success.

Has anyone else struggled with their Shield or other similar smallish 9mm's? Is it me? Is it the gun? Is there a "learning curve" with these small pistols that I am just not picking up on yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2farmer View Post
    Granted..............I am not the best pistol shooter in the world.........far from it. But with my 1911's (all in 45acp, all 5" guns) and my other striker fired polymer 9mm (Ruger SR9) I can make one ragged hole at 10 yards with cheap ball ammo, or my plinking grade handloads.

At 10 yards with the Shield, I can keep them on paper...........but groups are more like "patterns"...........when I do buckle down and get it grouping halfway decent, I get the old "low and left" problem normally associated with jerking the trigger.............but I am not (or at least I don't think I am, as I don't have this problem with the other guns).

The gun has been 100% reliable, it eat's everything I feed it, the trigger feels fine to me ( I like the SR9 trigger better), recoil is not an issue, it fits my hand well, and is comfortable to carry.

I really want to like this gun, but so far I can't shoot it worth a darn. I probably don't practice with it as much as I should, as I get frustrated with my performance with it often, and just pick up something else I have brought along and go about shooting that with much more success.

Has anyone else struggled with their Shield or other similar smallish 9mm's? Is it me? Is it the gun? Is there a "learning curve" with these small pistols that I am just not picking up on yet?
    I wish I could give you some advice, but all I can tell you is that I also really struggle with sub-compact single stacks. Hopefully somebody can drop some good hints for the both of us.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a particularly gifted shooter, but I found my Shield (for what it is) much more accurate than I'd expected. Small guns are not the easiest to shoot. Might be an expectations adjustment issue, may want to have a more experienced / capable shooter try it as well, dunno. I was more impressed with the Shield than my M&P 9mm prior to barrel replacement. I guess we're all different.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think certain guns just aren't easy to shoot for certain people, or at least require a lot more practice to shoot well. I have a Kahr pm9 that I just can't hit the broad side of a barn with. I know other people shoot the pm9 well, it just does not really work for me. I could probably get better with a lot of practice, but I'm unwilling to spend that much range time with it right now, I have other guns that are much easier for me to naturally shoot accurately with.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hated the Shield for a variety of reasons, but accuracy was about what I expected. The Walther PPS that replaced however is amazingly accurate in my hands...same is true of the PPS M2 that I bought a few months ago. Superior to the Shield in every respect IMHO.

Have you shot the gun from a sandbag at 25 yards? If it group poorly from a sandbag, it's probably the gun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have someone else of known skill shoot it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For the 1000th times, I've been telling people this. I've read many times people saying that this gun, that gun is inaccurate. They failed to describe from what position and distance they were shooting. Most people, myself included, tend to shoot low left while standing and shooting under timed condition. But when shooting from a bench or standing still and not timed, the groups are just fine, dead on center and good group.

So back to the original poster and your Shield. Find a stable platform, i.e. a bench, car hood, pick up truck bed, anything, and rest your arm/hand on that object. It wouldn't hurt if the hand that's holding the gun is rested on some soft padded object, i.e. shooting bag, sand bag, etc. From a known distance, 10 yards or 15 yards, shoot at a bullseye or some other sighting in type of target. A target with a definite aiming point, preferably a small high visible center (1" is the best). Take your freaking time, this is not a race to finish. Hold the perfect sight picture and press the trigger straight back. Treat the trigger as the eye drop bottle and you're trying to produce one drop for each trigger press. Shoot 5 shots or more to produce a group, I prefer 5 to 7. Don't worry about watching where your shots during the group shooting. Aim at the same spot on the target and finish your group. Then look at your target. If you're not satisfied, shoot another clean target. Then you will know where your got and sights are shooting.

The Shield itself is an accurate pistol, but with the short barrel and smallish gun it's not easy to shoot accurately under speed. It can be done if the trigger press is consistent. A couple years ago, I and a friend shot an entire day of Ken Hackathorn pistol class with the little gun and we were very happy with the gun. We have observed many people doing equally well in a recent Ken Hackathorn BUG class with their Glock 43. Little guns are not easy to shoot but with proper training and lots of practice, they will get the job done with the bigger/full size guns are not available.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    when I first got my Shield 9, I could not keep it in the 1" circle dot drill at 3 yds.

I am an LEO and a competitive handgun shooter with an emphasis on marksmanship.

I paid too much for it (because I did not want to wait for the LE versions at a lower price) and thought about getting rid of it, but the entire serial number actually meant something to me.

My trigger break was a horrendous 9lbs. the OT after the "break" was going from 9lbs to nothing and it caused me to moved the sights/the gun during follow through.

With great difficulty (because I did not want to spend the money), I purchased an Apex Tactical trigger kit and my trigger breaks at a very clean 6lbs.

Circle drills returned and quite pleased with my Shield. Its a keeper for sure. All my co-workers who shoot it like it.

Feedback Score
    Fundamentally the smaller the gun the harder it will be to shoot well. This is why in the old days cops issued snub nosed revolvers would often cheat on qualification day by shooting four inch guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    For the 1000th times, I've been telling people this. I've read many times people saying that this gun, that gun is inaccurate. They failed to describe from what position and distance they were shooting. Most people, myself included, tend to shoot low left while standing and shooting under timed condition. But when shooting from a bench or standing still and not timed, the groups are just fine, dead on center and good group.

So back to the original poster and your Shield. Find a stable platform, i.e. a bench, car hood, pick up truck bed, anything, and rest your arm/hand on that object. It wouldn't hurt if the hand that's holding the gun is rested on some soft padded object, i.e. shooting bag, sand bag, etc. From a known distance, 10 yards or 15 yards, shoot at a bullseye or some other sighting in type of target. A target with a definite aiming point, preferably a small high visible center (1" is the best). Take your freaking time, this is not a race to finish. Hold the perfect sight picture and press the trigger straight back. Treat the trigger as the eye drop bottle and you're trying to produce one drop for each trigger press. Shoot 5 shots or more to produce a group, I prefer 5 to 7. Don't worry about watching where your shots during the group shooting. Aim at the same spot on the target and finish your group. Then look at your target. If you're not satisfied, shoot another clean target. Then you will know where your got and sights are shooting.

The Shield itself is an accurate pistol, but with the short barrel and smallish gun it's not easy to shoot accurately under speed. It can be done if the trigger press is consistent. A couple years ago, I and a friend shot an entire day of Ken Hackathorn pistol class with the little gun and we were very happy with the gun. We have observed many people doing equally well in a recent Ken Hackathorn BUG class with their Glock 43. Little guns are not easy to shoot but with proper training and lots of practice, they will get the job done with the bigger/full size guns are not available.
    This is good advice and exactly how I shoot any new handgun. This process checks for true accuracy as well as establishes the point-of-aim/point-of-impact for that particular gun. It reduces the wobbly error of off-hand shooting.

However, sometimes it isn't technique. Even if one gun (or other widget) comes off the assembly line directly after another that doesn't mean it will be exactly like its predecessor. There can be some poor examples show up now and again, which my own Shield experience shows.

Although I had bought two previous M&P polymer strikers which were accurate, my experience with a new Shield last year was bad. Using the bench rested process at 10 yards that I always use with a new gun, my Shield was awful. It did not shoot groups, it shot patterns, as in shotgun patterns. The gun's grip was good with a great feeling in my hand and the trigger was very acceptable. It simply wouldn't shoot worth a hoot.

I tried it on four different range days with a variety of range and self defense ammo. I shot at 2" orange targets and didn't hit the target more than a couple of times in 350+ rounds. Even though I kept the sight picture and aim point the same for all shots the misses weren't consistent, but were scattered all over the place. My Kahr P9 would shoot the center out of the 2" target every time from the same solid rest and on the same range sessions. I had a guy shooting beside me also try it from the solid rest. Same results.

I know I probably just got a bad one and Smith would likely have fixed it had I returned it them. But, tired of the aggravation that two other handguns had just put me through, I just got rid of it.

In single stacks I now have my Kahr P9, Kahr CW380 and two Glock 43s. They all shoot great, including the tiny CW380 which has little real estate to hold on to. It was the Shield itself and not technique, grip, ammo or anything except the gun. Unfortunately everyone puts out a poor example occasionally. Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often with a quality brand like Smith & Wesson as I have owned more handguns by Smith over the decades than any other brand.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Shield, especially the newer PC example with slightly improved triggers, but that first one I bought was certainly a poor shooter.

OP, good luck with your Shield.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast