Thread: "Hell Below" question

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"Hell Below" question

Loving this series on Smithsonian - even though being 6'5" and claustrophobic, the thought of being a submariner scares the sh*t out of me:)

Question: on a WW II Gato class sub, is it in any way possible to move torpedoes between fore & aft torpedo tubes? My logic says no - but I've been wrong once or twice before:)

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am waiting for a diesel boat submarine sailor to chime in, but I am inclined to agree with you.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not familiar with US Subs of that era, but at one time as a kid I read everything I could get my hands on about German WWII Subs after finding out some interesting information.
    Apparently Germans would actually attach "extra" torpedoes outside the boat and stored attached to hull. These could be moved inside the U Boat when ever necessary, but by what means , I'm not exactly sure.
    I'm guessing we would have had the same ability, but were likely as not, not inclined to do so. I'm guessing it would be extremely difficult to do so, but likely it could be done by our Submariners also.
    I toured the U505 as a kid and yes, it was extremely tight quarters.
    This; https://www.amazon.com/War-Boats-Sub.../dp/1574887343 might be a good read and answer your questions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am familiar with the USS Pampanito which is a Balao class sub (not Gato although the two can be considered sister boats) berthed at San Francisco fisherman's wharf.

No, it really isn't possible to move the torps back to front... internally anyway.

I am watching this series as well and it is good. I have not heard mention yet the poor quality of the torpedoes the US used and the many times duds bounced off the ships.

Also, they spend a lot of time talking about the torps being used and more often than not, on the freighters, the deck gun was used to make the kill.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    My father completed seven patrols in the Pacific aboard Gato-class submarines during WWII. I remember asking him that question. He said no.

I still have his dolphins, his uniform, and his dogtags.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been aboard SS-244 (Gato-Class) and SS-287 (Balao-Class) . . . damn those are some tight quarters. Can't imagine being on a patrol in the 40's smelling diesel while packed in there like a sardine for months on end.

Don't have cable but the show sounds interesting, will have to find it by other means.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18