Thread: Front and Rear Sights on Upper Receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Front and Rear Sights on Upper Receiver?

Really dumb question, but how usable would "low real-estate" (meaning taking up as few slots as possible) iron sights be, mounted solely to the upper receiver?

Example: Upper receiver group, with a flat top, neither FSB nor 12 o'clock rail, rear sight mounted as far aft as possible, front sight mounted as far forward, and (with a lot of luck) a T1 or T2 between them?

Not a pressing issue, just curious. Seen more than one setup where there've been absolutely no provisions for a front sight, and was wondering how well this might work in a pinch.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Usable? Sure, why not?
    Accurate? Tough call and would depend much more on shooter skill.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    probably no worse than shooting a pistol; although i'd have trouble focusing on a front sight that close.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I always wondered about that. Seems like a front sight out on the end of a freefloat rail, could move ( as in the whole rail) and change your irons zero. Short distance between sights, but no movement. Things you think about when you can't sleep at night!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I think it would be a lot better than nothing. Sight radius is important to iron sight accuracy and the short radius would put this more in the pistol category than the rifle, but that's still better than spray n'pray.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It would be similar to those ACOGS that have BUIS built into the optic. So, yes they would work in a pinch and might be fine for CQB. Everybody's eyes are different but it should be better than nada.

Go for it. Take a pic and let us know.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"