Thread: "Subgun" 9mm?

Feedback Score

"Subgun" 9mm?

I found a box of old 9mm ammo at the shop, and was told it is specifically for subguns, and cannot be shot in pistols. I've done some searching on Googlebox, and didn't turn up much. I understand there may be some hot Russian stuff and armor piercing stuff, but is there 9mm ammo out there that's dangerous in a pistol? The ammo in question is headstamped 11 and 52, with two stars on it. I thinks its yugo. But I'm curious if subgun ammo is a thing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Whats a Subgub? But to answer your question yes there has been ammo loaded to higher pressure for use in sub machine guns, the British had some loaded for the Sterling MK IV use in Arctic conditions marked L7A1. Kind of like a ++P++ load, you could still shoot it in a strong handgun but I would not use it in a handgun I really liked.

ATF Notice on the L7A1:

Department of the Treasury
    ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm
    caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case

12 O'clock position: HP
    3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
    6 O'clock position: L7Al
    9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this
    ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
    Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-12-16 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here are some photos of L7A1.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    I have 900rds of the L7A1, having shot the other 100rds of the case. It's good and hot, my uzi absolutely loves it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I edited the title of the thread from "Subgub" to "Subgun" because it was making my eye twitch.

And yes, there is 9mm Parabellum ammo loaded to a spec that is past +P+, that should only be used in submachine guns or heavy machine pistols. The Israeli's used to make a lot of it for use in the Uzi. I have a couple of boxes someplace in the gun room.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen this type ammo(Israeli) for sale within the last 10 years with he warning not to fire it in handguns. I did buy and shoot a couple cases of Radway Green(British arsenal)9mm ammo that was advertised as sub gun ammo and loved shooting it. I suspect that it was of the hotter +P variety but not A bomb hot. Usually I'm not this imprecise.
    Last edited by williejc; 08-15-16 at 00:34. Reason: spelling