Thread: Elcan SpecterDR 1-4 for a do it all optic?

Feedback Score

Elcan SpecterDR 1-4 for a do it all optic?

So I continue my quest for a perfect do it all optic for my 11.5" BCM. I want the thing to be as streamlined as possible, but also tough and high quality with nice glass. The Elcan Specter, from what I read, has those points covered. Weight is also not so bad when compared to 1-4 optics such as a Nightforce 1-4. I will use it from anything from a range toy, to carbine courses, amateur 3gun and hunting / home defense. Ranges I shoot at are 0-100 yards on the move, 100-300 yards stationary.

Any feedback from you guys? How good is it at 1X?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently got a new one here from another member, and I freaking love it. Glass is super clear, definitely some of the best I've used. I used a lot of eotechs, acogs, and aimpoints in the army, and I find the Elcan far superior to all of them.

A lot of people thumb their noses at them because the early models had some problems, but the new gen. models have fixed all the issues. I haven't had any problems or POI shifts that I can tell.

The eyebox is extremely generous, so when I'm on 1x it's almost the same as using a normal red dot sight (I shoot nose to charging handle). I also like the fact that if your batteries die out (they're supposed to last a long time, I'm still on the original battery) or if you grab it from the closet in the middle of the night and don't have time to turn the knob for the red dot, you can still use the reticle to shoot.

Some people complain about the weight, but I barely notice it. Transition from 1x to 4x is quick and easy, and you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the lever. On 4x, you can see like a dream.

Overall, I love my Elcan, and I plan on keeping it on my M4 for the foreseeable future.

Feedback Score
    I've done a ton of researching in this area, especially with the Elcan. Honestly, with the explosion of solid 1-6x on the market, such as the Vortex Razor HD, I wouldn't think why I would pick a 1-4x over it. Additionally, doesn't the Elcan come with ARMS mounts? Those aren't exactly bombproof mounts out there.

I remember reading a SME who've spent time in a SOF unit (on M4C?) comment that Elcans are often left in the armories for a reason and aren't that super popular with the guys.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    I don't plan on getting one as I'm trying to stay the course (stay battery-free), they have a new 1.5x6 out now.
    Last edited by Swag; 08-15-16 at 18:50.
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    I don't plan on getting one as I'm trying to stay the course (stay battery-free), they have a new 1.5x6 out now.
    Even then, without it being a true 1x, what would make this Elcan a better choice over a 1-6x Razor HD? I'm not sponsored by Vortex or anything, I'm just genuinely curious if I'm missing something. I don't know what I don't know.

There's a certain Army SMU that uses the Vortex who asked Geissele to make a mount for it, so it can't be complete garbage...
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Even then, without it being a true 1x, what would make this Elcan a better choice over a 1-6x Razor HD? I'm not sponsored by Vortex or anything, I'm just genuinely curious if I'm missing something. I don't know what I don't know.

There's a certain Army SMU that uses the Vortex who asked Geissele to make a mount for it, so it can't be complete garbage...
    I'm not familiar with it or what would make it better than a Vortex, just recently discovered it myself. I have no plans of acquiring one. Just simply saying that Elcan does indeed offer something comparable in the 1x6 market. Nothing more.

Please forgive my dryness, it's my boyish charm.
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I've had 3 at one time, forced to sell 2, so I still have 1 left. I love'em, never had any issues with them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    built like a tank...does what it needs to do.....LOVE ELCANS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Elcan Pros:

Bomb proof body
    Clear glass

Elcan Cons:

Super short eye relief & unforgiving eye box.
    No midrange magnification option. It's either a 1x *OR* a 4x, no in-between. Variable mid-range is useful in various different shooting positions and distances.
    Non replaceable A.R.M.S. mounts suck.
    Height of optic isn't ideal for anything other than shooting from prone.
    Stuck with BDC reticle.
    Price!
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"