Thread: Blank brass good for anything?

Feedback Score

Blank brass good for anything?

I was camping on a military base recently and came across a bunch of fired 5.56 blanks laying on the ground near the campsite. I'm guessing that it can't easily be reloaded because of the crimps in the neck. I don't reload (yet, it's on the horizon), but I'm curious if the brass was good for anything.

Also, it looks like it was all linked in a belt originally, because there were a number of links there on the ground with it. This means it was fired through something like a SAW, which is a bad thing for reloading, right?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It’s good for recycling.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    It’s good for recycling.
    No doubt!

I got $189 for two 5 gallon buckets of old brass last weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    It’s good for recycling.
    That's what I figured.

If used brass is going for $18.90/gal, I'd guess there was between $5-$10 worth on the ground.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll take it off your hands, just name a reasonable price. I can use them for making 300 Whisper cases. I think that and scrap are all they are good for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    I'll take it off your hands, just name a reasonable price. I can use them for making 300 Whisper cases. I think that and scrap are all they are good for.
    Thanks for the offer, but what didn't go home with the boys in the Scout troop as souvenirs, went into the trash can as part of the camp site cleanup. I was mainly asking for future reference.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As far as the saw being bad for reloading..... The M249 has a rotating locking bolt kinda like the M16 but with only two or three big lugs. The M240 is the one that you need to worry about. It still locks up but it does not have any locking lugs in the chamber area.