Thread: Confused on when to use these different mounts

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Confused on when to use these different mounts

I am looking for a mount for my new (to me) 30mm SWFA SS HD 1-6. If it matters I shoot "nose to charging handle" and from field positions (prone, seated, kneeling, etc) and pretty much never off a bench or rest.

In looking at Bobro's offerings, which do I want? The Extended? Or not?

Same question for Larue's offerings.

Thanks for your help!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
    I am looking for a mount for my new (to me) 30mm SWFA SS HD 1-6. If it matters I shoot "nose to charging handle" and from field positions (prone, seated, kneeling, etc) and pretty much never off a bench or rest.

Thanks for your help!
    Depends on the scopes eye relief , with an eye relief of 3.75 and you are nose to charging handle you will need an extended.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Confused on when to use these different mounts

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post

Thanks for your help!
    I have a few different "new to me scopes" and like you I cut my M16/M4 teeth on nose to CH. I have an SWFA SS 10x42, Vortex Viper 1-4, Strike Eagle 1-6, and even a Bushnell 1-4 AR223 and I'm running ADM Recon mounts on all but one, and none of mine are extended models. My eye relief is 3.5-4" across all the glass (even the Bushnell). I do pull back though when using glass vs. my EOTech or BUIS..Probably not the best way regarding muscle memory, but it works for me. Digital Damage is more of an expert than me, but that's my experience.

ETA: added text in how I position cheek weld differently with scope.

I'm going to shoot you a PM and ask about the Bobro. I've been trying to pick up another good mount to replace the one crappy one I have and want to hear the things you like about the Bobro
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 08-19-16 at 12:42.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I have a few different "new to me scopes" and like you I cut my M16/M4 teeth on nose to CH. I have an SWFA SS 10x42, Vortex Viper 1-4, Strike Eagle 1-6, and even a Bushnell 1-4 AR223 and I'm running ADM Recon mounts on all but one, and none of mine are extended models. My eye relief is 3.5-4" across all the glass (even the Bushnell). I do pull back though when using glass vs. my EOTech or BUIS..Probably not the best way regarding muscle memory, but it works for me. Digital Damage is more of an expert than me, but that's my experience.

ETA: added text in how I position cheek weld differently with scope.

I'm going to shoot you a PM and ask about the Bobro. I've been trying to pick up another good mount to replace the one crappy one I have and want to hear the things you like about the Bobro
    In reality, proper length of pull is always preferred. Nose to charging handle when in tight spaces, turning a carbine in to an "SMG form factor" if possible.

I also have no extended mounts, but I always run proper length of pull. Some however can't get comfortable extended, do not have the strength or proper form when distributing weight away from the body to implement proper length of pull on some platforms.
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 08-19-16 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    In reality, proper length of pull is always preferred. Nose to charging handle when in tight spaces, turning a carbine in to an "SMG form factor" if possible.

I also have no extended mounts, but I always run proper length of pull. Some however can't get comfortable extended, do not have the strength or proper form when distributing weight away from the body to implement proper length of pull on some platforms.
    Ok...by "Length of Pull" are you referring to cheek weld position in relation to........?? the rear of the receiver ? Can you help me understand that?
    It's good to know I'm not don't something wrong, I do field comfortable and natural with my position for seeing the full objective. Also I don't mean to hijack the OP. I apologize.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Ok...by "Length of Pull" are you referring to cheek weld position in relation to........?? the rear of the receiver ? Can you help me understand that?
    It's good to know I'm not don't something wrong, I do field comfortable and natural with my position for seeing the full objective. Also I don't mean to hijack the OP. I apologize.
    It is distance from index finger to shoulder placement and clearing the charging handle/bolt handle.

Easiest way (without breaking out the tape measure), is make a 90 angle with your arm and adjust the buttstock so your index finger is just barely hooked on trigger and the bustock is in resting against your biceps. That will work in almost all situations, with the exception of shorter people on long actions.

I'll try to find a link.

EDIT:
    Decent overview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgIPbzKHWI
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 08-19-16 at 14:50. Reason: added link.