Thread: "Mitchell High Standard" shotgun?

Feedback Score

"Mitchell High Standard" shotgun?

Bought this today at a local gun show, mostly as a curiosity. Seller advertised it as NIB (only without the box), and it seems to be in new condition. It's stamped "Mitchell High Standard" with other markings being the serial number and I can make out "Philippines" under the heatshield.

Did a little research and evidently this is a Model 9115SAS, made from about 1994-1996. Currently Armscor makes the same basic model under a different name. Uses the original HS design.

I don't know much about the old High Standard designs (the original company went under in the mid-1970's). This particular gun has twin extractors, similar to a Mossy 500/590. The bolt is jeweled (why?). Anybody know if High Standard and Mossberg shared many characteristics?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Remington's Model 31 made from 1931 to 1949 was the parent of Mossberg's Model 500, which Mossberg simplified somewhat for cheaper manufacture. High Standard copied the Remington design more so than did Mossberg. The original 31 and the High Standard were excellent shotguns. I saw a used version of your gun in a lgs, and it too was nice. I suspect that the H.S. version has fewer short cuts, more machined parts, and a certain slickness from being hand fitted. Jeweled parts hold more lube and have a certain smoothness about them.

Remington dropped the 31 and developed the 870 because the 870 was cheaper to make. As it turned out, it also had a longer service life. Mossberg turned an "obsolete" design that cost too much to make into a low cost budget shotgun that eventually upset the pump gun market. Go figure.