Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Retro(s) Soon ... ???

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I know they don't say COLT on them, but Troy have "commemorative" XM177E2 for half the speculated MSRP.

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-xm177e2/

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I know they don't say COLT on them, but Troy have "commemorative" XM177E2 for half the speculated MSRP.

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-xm177e2/
    Unfortunately I have not seen one of these yet at a gun show but I've read about them and I have to say I am most impressed. It appears they did a good job and put some heart and soul in to these. The prices are good and I am sure the average owner/shooter will get as much out of these as they would the higher priced Colt(s).
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Unfortunately, in my personal experience, the Troy XM177E2's are garbage. I was very excited to get Troy's XM177E2, but i ultimately sent mine back for a full refund. The receiver extension was way out of spec (too long), which prevented the buffer + carrier from being able to bottom out inside the receiver extension. As a result, the back of the gas key would smack the snot out of the lower receiver when the rifle was cycled. Additionally, the gas key was far out of alignment with the gas tube. And finally, for the most egregious problem, the lower receiver was milled incorrectly. The buffer detent cavity was milled too far to the rear of the forging, causing the face of buffer to get chewed up by the detent. Ultimately, the buffer detent would sheer off.
    I gave Troy a chance to correct the problem, but they were unable to correct anything. The only thing they did was put some glue on a washer and drop it down into the out of spec receiver extension (what the F?!). In other words, they were incapable of properly addressing any of the serious problems with their rifle. Sadly, i packed everything up and sent it back for a refund. The customer service guy was very nice, but the tech folks were oblivious. I was shocked at how little they knew when it came to the ins and outs of the AR platform. That will teach me to seek out other manufacturers. I had never gone with anything but Colt, BCM, and DD, prior to this misadventure. Never had a problem. Ill be sticking with the known quantity manufacturers from now on. I feel bad for those who don't know much about the platform, as there are probably a number of these f'd up rifles out there (I've already received a PM from someone who has had a similar experience with his Troy XM177E2). Troy definitely tried to throw some unrelated terms at me, in the hopes that i was unfamiliar with the AR platform. Nope.
    I really would like to see a quality manufacturer create a very nice, but reasonably priced XM177E2.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for clearing that one up for us. Obviously their weapons aren't as mil-spec as they are supposed to be.

Feedback Score
    Anyone seen this one yet on GB? Anyone have any information on the company?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/601829408

Feedback Score

Run from that thing. It would take two days to point out how much wrong is going on there.

Save an extra hundred and just get a SP1, you will be glad you did.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe View Post
    Unfortunately, in my personal experience, the Troy XM177E2's are garbage. I was very excited to get Troy's XM177E2, but i ultimately sent mine back for a full refund. The receiver extension was way out of spec (too long), which prevented the buffer + carrier from being able to bottom out inside the receiver extension. As a result, the back of the gas key would smack the snot out of the lower receiver when the rifle was cycled. Additionally, the gas key was far out of alignment with the gas tube. And finally, for the most egregious problem, the lower receiver was milled incorrectly. The buffer detent cavity was milled too far to the rear of the forging, causing the face of buffer to get chewed up by the detent. Ultimately, the buffer detent would sheer off.
    I gave Troy a chance to correct the problem, but they were unable to correct anything. The only thing they did was put some glue on a washer and drop it down into the out of spec receiver extension (what the F?!). In other words, they were incapable of properly addressing any of the serious problems with their rifle. Sadly, i packed everything up and sent it back for a refund. The customer service guy was very nice, but the tech folks were oblivious. I was shocked at how little they knew when it came to the ins and outs of the AR platform. That will teach me to seek out other manufacturers. I had never gone with anything but Colt, BCM, and DD, prior to this misadventure. Never had a problem. Ill be sticking with the known quantity manufacturers from now on. I feel bad for those who don't know much about the platform, as there are probably a number of these f'd up rifles out there (I've already received a PM from someone who has had a similar experience with his Troy XM177E2). Troy definitely tried to throw some unrelated terms at me, in the hopes that i was unfamiliar with the AR platform. Nope.
    I really would like to see a quality manufacturer create a very nice, but reasonably priced XM177E2.
    I've got a GAU-5/A/A. To be honest, it's sat in a box ever since I bought it due to personal stuff limiting my shooting. I HOPE it doesn't have any of the issues you are pointing out, but I will be sure to check it as soon as possible. Have you heard anything about the quality of the GAU-5/A/A guns from Troy?

Feedback Score
    I wonder why they went through all that trouble to make a good reproduction just to use a tapered delta ring? A1 receivers, both uppers and lowers but somehow they didn't go with a flat delta ring. What gives? If I were in the market for one of those, i'd gladly pay the extra fifteen bucks if it really was right.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    @flatlander35: There were some original issue XM177E2s with tapered delta rings. Additionally, the bigger concern is that the rifle Troy is putting out is poorly constructed/manufactured and that the people involved with the company are incapable of correctly identifying and fixing terminal issues (in my personal experience).

@Ram: The person who contacted me via PM after i posted my report on the flaws present in my Troy XM177E2 (I no longer own said rifle, as it was returned for a full refund) said that he owned both a Troy GAU-5/A/A and a Troy XM177E2. His rifles had sat in their original boxes and he hadn't had the opportunity to fire either rifle. After reading my report, he checked his rifles for the issues i mentioned. He found that the receiver extensions were out of spec on both his GAU-5/A/A and his XM177E2. Like mine, the buffer detent cavity in his XM177E2 was out of spec/forged incorrectly. He said that the buffer detent cavity in his GAU-5/A/A was in spec. I find it very troubling that there were serious issues present in 3 out of 3 rifles. And again, Troy was incapable of repairing ANY of the issues present in my former rifle. They sent the damn thing back exactly as i had sent it to them, save for the washer they glued into the out of spec receiver extension. You gotta be freakin kidding me. lol. I will say that the exterior of the XM177E2 looked great! too bad the internals were inferior and the QC/QA was non existent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Anyone seen this one yet on GB? Anyone have any information on the company?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/601829408
    That is a rip-off. The only thing retro about it is the styling. It is nothing like any model that actually existed. I cannot believe what they are asking for that thing. I would not even have something like that in my collection. It is horrible.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast