Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckmark vs. 22/45

Feedback Score

Buckmark vs. 22/45

I'm thinking about buying a semi 22 and I was all set on a 22/45 but a couple of comments from friends have me questioning this. They said the buckmark was a superior gun and the 22/45 was far less reliable. Is there any truth to this? I only have experience with the 22/45 which has always been positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Die living

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They are both good. 22/45 is a pain in the ass to clean, but once you get the hang of it, its not bad. I like both guns, but it depends on what you want to do with them. If you intend on replacing the barrel, I would go with the BuckMark, as the barrel on the 22/45 is the serialized part. Aftermarket parts support goes to the 22/45.

My BuckMark is the gun that really taught me how to shoot.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The BuckMark is a superior gun. I have owned both and sold both my 22/45. I have far fewer malfunctions with the buckmark and i shoot 90% suppressed. It's a heavier pistol so you need to know that going in. I prefer that as it's easier to manage and be accurate with, its also easier for new shooters as there is zero recoil or barrel rise.

The trigger out of the box is hands down way better in the buckmark. Take down is much easier with the buckmark. The backmark also has the advantage of having the serial number being on the frame; if you want to change out barrels you dont need to go through an FFL. There are not as many accessories as the ruger but I dont view them as necessary. If you are looking for a project gun you can make a 22/45 a very nice gun but if you just want to buy once and forget about it, get the buckmark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both. I prefer the Buckmark. There's not anything really wrong with the 22/45 other than being a pain to clean and I don't do it that often. I just like the Buckmark better. The above post's pretty much covered the pro's of the Buckmark, however If I found a screaming deal on a 22/45 that met my wants for a 22 pistol I would jump on it without hesitation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have both, my 22/45 has never had a malf. The buckmark has been very unreliable. So therefore I lean to the ruger. YMMV

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have always heard the Buckmark is quieter when suppressed. Anyone have any experience with that?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    I have always heard the Buckmark is quieter when suppressed. Anyone have any experience with that?
    Yes and yes but not super noticable. All my experience is primarily with a SiCo Sparrow.

Similar to GLOCK 19/17 vs a Sig 226 suppressed - unlock in my experience is generally a little slower.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One thing to change on the 22/45 is the mag disconnect, I used the Tandemkross from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par..._1=TANDEMKROSS
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have had a 22/45 for a number of years although I don't see that they make my model any longer. It shoots pretty well but, as others have said, it is a major pain to take down and clean. It's trigger is just okay (hey, it's a Ruger) but the gun has been mostly trouble free as far as function goes. I've shot other people's Buckmarks at the range and liked them better than my Ruger.

As far as I'm concerned, for .22 autoloading rifles Ruger's 10/22 is the gold standard. I own two of them and will as long as I live. My Ruger 22/45 handgun is not even remotely in that league. Personal opinion.

When I buy another .22 autoloader it will be a Buckmark.

Good luck in your choice.
    Last edited by Helix12; 08-26-16 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    I've owned both as well and only kept the buckmark, easier to clean and far superior trigger out of the box. What I will say about the 22/45 is you could run anything through it, the buckmark not so much but ironically it liked federal bulk. My son shot 3 years of steel challenge with it and can say it was probably 5 to 1 in favor of the 22/45 by other competitors. The buckmark served us very well and has 20,000 plus rounds though it with only cleanings, sometimes a 1000 plus between them. It still runs perfect but should have some parts replaced. When I cleaned for the last match of the season last year the extractor flew out, that was the first time it was out of the slide and the spring coils were worn half way though. I had my fingers crossed it would live through the match and it didn't let us down. It just sits in my safe now my son being 14 has moved on to other intrests sadly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast