Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buckmark vs. 22/45

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    To me, Ruger RUINED that pistol line w/ the mag disconnect ... and other 'alleged safety' improvements.
    Totally agree that some mk iii changes were inspired more by Ruger legal dept and hurt the shootability of a great pistol design. Bad call on Ruger's part, still not fixed to this day. Personally, I've sold off my last remaining 22/45 as I just did not enjoy shooting or using them that much as other folks seem to. On the question of 22/45 vs Buckmark, my personal response is "neither". The only .22 pistol I have left--and that I DO shoot regularly because it gives me lower cost recoil-free training on a serious pistol platform that I care about--is a Nelson custom 1911 conversion that is more accurate than any stock 22/45 heavy barrel or Lite I ever owned (had a total of 5). And I can drop the Nelson on my 1911 that already has a great trigger and an operating system I'm familiar with. Being a lefty, the 22/45 RH biased controls have always been awkward and annoying. Haven't owned a Buckmark, but I assume that like the 22/45 its operating system is not going to be similar to any serious centerfire pistol I care about, and not particularly LH friendly, so not that interested. I don't expect other shooters feel the same way about this as I do, which leads to the next point.

Despite Ruger's bad design changes and my personally moving on from the mk iii 22/45, they are still a very accurate and reliable .22 at the price point if you're convinced you want one. I don't think somebody who's decided they want a .22 of this type makes a bad choice by getting a 22/45, even the mk iii. You can easily solve the magazine disconnect problem with a $10 part that anybody can install. Just install this part, maybe improve your trigger with Volquartsen sear and trigger parts, add better aftermarket sights, and for maybe $100 to $150 beyond the price of the pistol, you'll have a pretty shootable 22/45. One heads up on 22/45 accuracy: I consistently see mixed reviews about the accuracy of the 22/45 "lite" models. I owned one (recently sold), and I experienced what many shooters have, it was difficult to get them to group as tightly at 25 yards+ as the heavy/steel barreled 22/45's. Don't know if this is an inherent accuracy issue with the lite barrels, or just because the lighter weight up front makes it more difficult to stay on target. I just know my last one didn't shoot nearly as accurately as my heavy barreled older ones. If I were buying a 22/45 today myself, because I want my .22's to be extremely accurate, I'd get one with a steel/bull barrel. Even if you get a used one with a steel barrel in good condition. Or if you get the light, then get an aftermarket heavy barrel from somebody like Volquartsen or Clark Custom Guns so you can switch between the light and heavy uppers whenever you want. Problem there, is that with a 22/45 the barreled upper is the serial numbered part of the pistol, so it'll be expensive and going that route can easily equal the original cost of the pistol.

Here's the tandemkross bushing to fix the mag disconnect issue in the mk iii 22/45. Oops I see somebody else already mentioned this.
    https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Ha...stols_p_9.html
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-27-16 at 15:47. Reason: add tandemkross comment

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Oh wow, I thought they were near $700.

My decision was also based on needing a threaded barrel.

for that price, get one of each.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You can get both the camper and URX models with a threaded barrel. Grab a gun generally has them for under $450.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    You can get both the camper and URX models with a threaded barrel. Grab a gun generally has them for under $450.
    http://www.browning.com/products/fir...sor-ready.html

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Brow...ed-Barrel.aspx

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Oh, I know what the other thing was when i was shopping around. I wanted a rail on top for a RDS too. That Buckmark with the rail and threaded barrel looks nice. I found a new 22/45 LITE for $350 shipped so just said what the hell. I think I have $550 in it now with RDS and Compensator ( will be replaced by can this winter ). But that includes all the after market parts and removal of the bad stuff.

It sounds like $ for $ those are very similar pistols.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Slightly OT . .22lr speed loader... https://www.tandemkross.com/McFadden...III-_p_31.html

I bought one of those things because it was on sale. Man that thing is nice. You just dump all your rounds in. Slide the empty or partially empty mag in, shake it... boom... it's loaded and ready to roll. I think it works for most all .22lr thin single stack mags. The first one I loaded I thought man this was a waste, then I looked and realized the mag was full. It loaded it so fast I thought it didn't load any rounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Buckmark is incredibly accurate at 50 yards and has been very reliable for over a thousand rounds. I had a failure to fire last winter and decided it was time to finally clean it. Flawless ever since.

I have no experience with the Ruger.

Feedback Score
    I've got three Rugers (2 MKIIs and a 22/45) and one Buckmark. All of them work well. I had one magazine for the 22/45 that was finicky (rough finish inside) and the original Buckmark barrel didn't like some types of ammo. The Buckmark now has a threaded barrel (bought it used, I think it was a factory Camper barrel someone threaded) and now works great. The stock Buckmark trigger is better but the Rugers are serviceable and can be improved. I did remove the mag safety on the 22/45, which I highly recommend. Suppressed the Ruger sounds better to my ear if that's a factor. Otherwise the Buckmark is slightly nicer overall. Very close. The older MKIIs are definitely better than the newer MKIIIs.

Feedback Score
    Do none of you know about the Speed Strip Kit for Ruger 22 pistols?

Get a 22-45 and a Speed Strip Kit and press on!

I have been shooting a 22-45 for going on 10 years now and it is accurate and reliable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Buckmark is the one firearm that goes to the range every trip. I purchased back in the early 1980's and it has been great firearm to own. It loves mini mags, and has introduced several girl friends and multiple wives to shooting. LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast