Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silencer suggestion for 6.5 precision rifle

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    lol at PRB "what the pros use"!!

There is SO MUCH subtext in those articles it isn't even funny.

Here is a real pro-tip.... "Pros" often use what they are given. Not all, but a lot.

For example in that link... Look at "SHARK" suppressors. In 2012/2013 Shark (who had no name at all) sponsored a bunch of precision rifle shooters. At the same time, miraculously, their product was often talked about on SnipersHide. No where else mid you, just mostly talk on SH, where they were instantly a "great precision silencer". Now... No one runs them, no one talks about them. Poof, basically gone, despite this being the most popular time for suppressors ever. Were those cans REALLY the best gear that the "pros" selected? Or was it something else?

Example two... LaRue rifles don't really show up in PRS. You know where they do? The military competitions where XYZ Marines or ABC Army Snipers win #1 with them. They're good rifles, if you're ok with your semi-auto being a tight as a bolt gun. But you know why those military competitions are won with them? Because LaRue gives them out to all the teams that ask for them. Does that mean TOS's love affair with LaRue is totally because of the product meeting and exceeding most member's needs?

Example three.... I know Marine Recon / Scout Snipers who would utterly SUCK at the Precision Rifle Series. It's similar (but opposite) to taking a USPSA Master, beating the crap out of them, and then telling them to run a course, it won't go well. The "PROS" in PRS are people who practice things that appear in PRS. I'd be very careful of mixing up my wants and needs for skills and gear - to what PRS people want for skills and gear. Unless I was shooting PRS of course!

Cal does a good job overall, when it's science he's working at, when it's "what the pros use" you have to know you are only getting 1/2 the story at best.

The "what the pros use" post should be read with cautious if not skeptical and wary mindset.

I have a TBAC Ultra7 CB, and it's great! But I know for a fact that TBAC does have sponsor deals for cans. This didn't play into my purchase, I heard them in person first, and the specs matched what I wanted for hunting. I'd buy one again, and if you can afford the price, I'd recommend it. IDGAF what someone who is good a trick shots is using after making a call and asking for a sample.
    Noodles, I know you were not singling out my thread but just to clarify my post - I dont really give a crap about PRB, I am not a long range shooter, and that link from PRB was not the one I was originally looking for.

I remember reading a interesting article about how thunder beast really had taken over the precision market with their TI cans. The PRB article was kind of on the same wavelength as a data point for the OP. I do know a number of precision shooters in the area and most run the TB TI cans. From their experience PA to PI shift is nil, they have good lockup and a good QD system if you're looking for a QD can. I know some have purchased SiCo Omegas but I think that has more to do with cost vs performance. My recommendation of TB was completely based on their suggestions for precision shooting and how happy they are with their cans. All that being said I think their non-ti full auto rated 223 and 30 cal cans are paperweights and shooters should look elsewhere if that is what they are looking for.
    Last edited by themonk; 09-01-16 at 06:20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123