Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sub-awesome sling setups

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My dept is going through an interesting time, the approval of personal patrol rifles. It's actually quite a pain in the ass, putting your rifle in the rack, stowing the dept's rifle in a gun safe in the station, and then doing the reverse at the end of the shift, when you're tired and frazzled, and just want to get the hell out of there. It hasn't started quite yet, so it's going to be interesting to see how many personal rifles will end up left in cars. I feel that the ability to control your own ammo supply and personal zero is worth the effort. We use single points so I don't think we'll have any jacked up slings but who knows.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Step one: approval of personal purchase rifles.

Next up: take-home cars!

Best of luck with all. I agree you don't need another thing to do at start and end of shift. I've never heard of this but it comes to mind: two racks in the car. One for the issue rifle and another in front of it for guys that bring their own. But-- whether or not it's feasible I doubt many outfits would do that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wait, wouldn't the guy before you have stowed the dept. rifle at the end of his shift?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No they stay in the car.

Feedback Score
    LOL, some of this reminds me of the pics of the NY SWAT officer with backwards EOTech, or the one that showed up a while back of a female officer with mag in backwards. None of this is quite that egregious, but the backwards Aimpoint mount comes close. Looks like some of the setups you see on the Facebook AR groups.
    Last edited by henschman; 10-13-16 at 12:47.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Before and after, one of several from last week’s class.
    Not sure what this was supposed to be, 3-point? 6-point….? The user would have been better off with nothing, in all seriousness. A sling like this actually borders on being a safety hazard. It was actually screwed to the gun.

After: still screwed to the gun, not quick adjustable but adjustable; lots of taping together of two layers of sling material but this was one of those “not my weapon” situations where the guy was worried about cutting off and discarding the extra six feet of sling (OK, slight exaggeration). I need a result that will get him through class and if some Seargent or something wants it back the way it was on Monday it can be done although I defy anyone to really know how it was set up in the first place, let alone “why”. I hate taping things up because today’s tape is tomorrow’s gooey mess but…. Safety and utility for the next few days was what really mattered.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I used to think of the sling, as the "UN-screwuppable" feature of a rifle... until THIS thread. Granted, you could buy the WRONG sling for your application - like a single point sling for a 20" rifle - but installation always seemed easy enough...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry to revive an older post but I thought this was interesting. We have a 2 year probationary period before you are allowed to purchase a rifle through the department to be yours yet approved for duty use. During that 2 year waiting period you can still take out the patrol rifles shared by everyone else (Colt M16 A1 and A2 variants) with blackhawk 2 point slings, a fairly simple design. Yet when they are cleaned it seems like no one can put them back together without it being twisted or mounted upside down. Thankfully I have my own now and have a quality sling (modified 2 point to 1 point design).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week's class, more of the same with the excessive, mystery-function, safety hazard slings. This time we had a quantity of slings available from Savvy Sniper that I was able to switch guys into. Simple is good and this one is simple. At first glance anyone can figure out how to operate the adjustment: grab loop, pull for more length, pull down to snug-up. I believe it's the model they are providing to the USMC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week in Non-Optimal Slings:

…and…. sometimes the people that make things don’t understand about durability

6-32 screws are a poor choice for, well, anything. Coarse threads come loose easier. The 6-32 in particular breaks easily. The smaller 5-40 is way more loose-proof and actually gives more clamping force. The 8-32, better yet by far. I have yet to see one of these come from the factory with a hint of thread locker. Screws came loose, two fell out, cap was lost. Zero went to hell then the gun shut down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast