Let’s see some sling setups—really good or really bad.

Let me start off with…. Well, you decide.

This is an actual pic of an actual gun from this week’s class..... I did not add anything for the pic. I could not do what I really wanted with it because it was the Supervisor’s gun and the officer thought he’d better not make any permanent changes:

Furthermore, and very common, one end was about to come out causing a dropped rifle:

At the back end, I swear I did not set this up for the pic. Knot of tangled sling makes it near impossible to adjust stock:

Second place winner, same deal, same Department, no permanent changes please. If you think this one doesn’t look so bad you missed the length of sling going alongside the left hand side of the carbine. Both of these were for lefties.

Both came to a happy ending, happy enough anyway, with a little paracord and rolling the 17 yards of excess webbing into little bundles with a few out-of-the-way bits of superfluous hardware inside. Not ideal but nothing actually cut away (much as I wanted to) and all original parts enclosed so the Supervisor could put them back to their original, tactical greatness.
It is amazing some of the setups that are out there. Most students have total latitude in this but some outfits aren’t there yet.