Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sub-awesome sling setups

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I hate taping things up because today’s tape is tomorrow’s gooey mess but….
    Same here so you might find this handy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x...ape-61414.html

Not quite as good as some of the more expensive rescue silicone tapes, but usually good enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointman1177 View Post
    Yet when they are cleaned it seems like no one can put them back together without it being twisted or mounted upside down.
    Some people have a knack for it. A similar one is getting seat belt buckles half or fully reversed on the belt. Usually takes me at least 1 set of vise grips to get the belt folded and force fed back through the buckle slots, but somehow a person managed to twist it in the course of being a passenger.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-23-19 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    Ive run a duffle-bag strap as a sling in a pinch. It sucked compared to a decent sling- but worked.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    From the last two weeks. Not slingage but things in general---

Notes from the last two weeks of Patrol Rifle:

I don’t remember what brand this rifle was but I sure gave it points for having a pinned gas block (instead of just set-screwed. But for some reason the gas tube pin was backing out. I pushed it back in and staked it with an automatic centerpunch.

This seemed an insecure way to attach a single-point sling, in fact is was brought to me because to the shooter it was a mystery piece rattling around on the buffer tube. In our classes, single-points seem to be at the end of their popularity.

I really, really don’t like unnecessary sharp edges. This flash hider has plenty. Should we be handling the gun by the FH, not really, but when guys are moving and shooting and who knows what, why have skin rippers.

One of the venues we use has new V-Tac barriers, blow molded from what I would say is polyethylene—very low melting point. SAW gunners (not part of our program!) rest their barrel on the ledge and push up against the barrier with the gas block. Interesting results.

Candidate for the makes-the-least-sense muzzle device—a fake suppressor. Not a fake one, really, but a “training” suppressor. Oh, this agency has the real ones….. I guess they are worried about wearing them out maybe…? Or letting them out? In this particular state the legislation regarding police and suppressors is very constipated. For police use they are restricted to (something like) “special applications”. In other words, “patrol” can’t have them. I think the agency might have been worried about running afoul of state law if someone were to come along and say “training is not a special application”. In training—fire thousands of rounds with a “not” suppressor. One the street—fire one or two rounds in extremis and have no idea what the POI will be, have no idea if the gun is going to function right with it, and do not be expecting gas-in-the-face. In training, fire thousands of rounds and risk hearing damage so you can be real quiet IF you fire the rifle in a situation.

I am the brake Nazi. We are getting fewer and fewer brakes in class but this week had no fewer than five. Four, I was able to change out for A1 flash hiders, which I buy out of my own pocket and give to students. The fifth was pinned and welded so he got to use one of my shrouds all week.

This was interesting. This guy was in last week’s class (and slipped through the Brake Nazi’s net, but not this week!) On the last day we got rained on and rained out, and he did not get a chance between last week and Monday this week to maintain his rifle. Verdigris went on a rampage.

Feedback Score
    The photographs displayed are indeed disturbing !

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Geez! That first pic make the 3 point sling look brilliant.
    I could see 20' of webbing in 1990 - but with so many good slings available cheap this century, that's steroid-level STOOPID these days!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Back to slings, I've been liking these two, although one all-time fave is the V-Tac.

https://savvysniper.com/slings

From Finland, worth a look if and when they are back in stock: [url]https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-2p-rk-quick-adjust-rifle-sling/59724[/url---------------------
    ---------------------------
    Also, we had one barrel that was keyholing. It took the erosion gage all the way from the front and the back. This is a .220 rod. No one's fault, just a well-shot gun. The problem is that being a piston gun it has to have that brand of piston barrel and it might be better for the guy to just get a "standard" top end but then he has to replace the carrier too. Not sure but it might have been a SIG-- these things come to me in a rush sometimes. I wanted to borescope it but never got the chance.

Speaking of SIG there were two in class for sure; both had that abomitable setup where the the hammer pin can only be the hammer pin (center detent groove only) and the trigger pin can only be the trigger pin (single outboard groove only; have seen one now with two outboard grooves but still no central groove). Even worse, there was one or two non-SIG guns that had this same setup. Kidding no, I have seen a SIG come from the factory with these pins pre-switched for you malfunctioning convenience. Talked to my friend at SIG and he said, "no idea why". I could see him over the phone rolling his eyes.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Is the brake with your shroud a BCM comp?

Can you imagine the headaches the 1907 slings must have given Drill Sergeants/Instructors?

Andy

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I believe it is a BCM. Of some brakes I've heard guys say "but they aren't as bad as some others". I'll grant you that some are only awful while most are bloody awful but the distinction is pretty hard to make most times. If the product is designed with a blast face or two or three, with pass-through holes desiged to redirect blast in any direction other that the bore axis, the Brake Nazi is coming for a visit, but with a solution.

I did not mean to detour my own sling thread into a brake thread, so:

Perhaps three times this summer at class and once at a match, I spotted guys whose sling end was about to pull through a buckle as in the pic below and drop the gun. When I can't have a couple inches of material there, I will often heat a nail and burn a hole through it close to the end. Then I put a zip ties through there or even just a stub of para cord that with the help of a little torch from the cigar store, becomes a rivet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Does doubling the strap back though the buckle normally work when there is enough strap to do it? I know this isn't a sling but the principle is the same.

Andy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast