Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sub-awesome sling setups

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Does doubling the strap back though the buckle normally work when there is enough strap to do it?
    Yes. (Pardon me, back to minding my own business.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Does doubling the strap back though the buckle normally work when there is enough strap to do it? I know this isn't a sling but the principle is the same.

Andy
    In addition to the yes from Disciple, a not uncommon issue will be the webbing thickness stacking up to make the last pass through the buckle slot difficult to impossible.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    After buying/trying about every sling out there over the years, one of my favorites is the Ferro Concepts sling.
    It adjusts easily and does the sling role quite well for me.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, that works. Just back from our first class of 2023, will post some pics and comments soon.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Things that came my way this week as Armorer in a Patrol Rifle class.
    Dear manufacturers: why do you use straight pins when you know it’s inferior? Is that twenty-seven cents per gun you save really worth it? You know darn well (I would think) that with straight pins, the difference between “so loose it falls out in the box on the way to the dealer” and “so tight we almost broke it getting it and you will never get it out” is less than half a thousandth. With a tapered pin as originally designed, that half-thou would be, the tapered pin goes in another .020 shallower or deeper.
    I don’t like mentioning brands because anyone, any brand, can make a mistake. But this company has been chronic about this since they started making their “AR-556” model.

Dear manufacturers: At this point we all know all about staking and carrier key screws. Why not spend (again) another twenty-seven cents and use US-made screws and….. obviously you have a staking setup of some kind. Why not adjust your stakes from “ersatz” to “actually effective”? Brand “R” again, and again, chronic.
    The stuck cartridge was unrelated—a case that had somehow become so deformed it was a press-fit into the bolt face recess. Unrelated to gun, I believe.

When people who don’t run guns, make guns. I don’t think this is a characteristic that is necessarily brand-specific (although this is the same rifle as above), but—it is a charging handle that has some downward wobble bumping into the front of a stock slider, giving some shooters the feeling that they have cycled the bolt all the way to the rear when in fact it is far from it (depending upon stock slider position). Result— no round chambered and probably a bolt-over-base malfunction. Top round becomes deformed and then, when the remedy is attempted, it becomes stuck as hell.
    Nothing wrong (in my opinion) with fixing this by chamfering the top front of the slider and even the bottom of the charging handle.

The value in being Armorer: you see that which has heretofore been thought impossible.

“I’m getting stovepipes, several per mag”. Weak spring under the extractor or ejector, I figured. Extractor had a D-ring so look at the ejector: press it in with something to test the strength of the spring. This one was weak and mushy, and the spring came out in multiple pieces! I’ve sure seen weak ones but never like this, virtually “shattered”. It’s a wonder it worked at all! DPMS.
    BTW, if this was you and you were in the middle of nowhere with no replacement, your selector detent spring is the same part. Swaparoo may leave you with lighter efforts on the selector but at least you’ll have a functioning ejector.

“Don’t shoot these unless you absolutely have to”:

Steel from 2017 holding up well, 9/16 AR500 steel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Things that came my way this week as Armorer in a Patrol Rifle class.
    There is a lot to take in with that post, thanks for sharing it. Classes are always great for not only pushing yourself and your abilities but realizing fail points from others. I will say good on the people that took the class, now they have more knowledge then they did before, and it failed in a classroom environment where it didn't end up with them causing more harm then good. I think this just echoes what this forum has been about since I started lurking here which is quality information from people who not only care, but take practical experience and try to relay that to others.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234