Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for a Sig armorer: Putting a .40 barrel in a .357 P-229?

Feedback Score

Question for a Sig armorer: Putting a .40 barrel in a .357 P-229?

Years ago sometime around 1995 when I was still a LEO, I bought one of the original P-229s when they came out chambered for both .40 and .357. Back then, even the magazines were stamped .40/.357 and would feed either round. From what I remember, it was the same weapon. It just had a different barrel. I believe all of the specs were the same, and the compensation for chamber pressure was made up for in the added barrel heftiness of the .357.

Fast forward 25 years later, I'm no longer a LEO and don't need to be footing the bill for this expensive ammunition, assuming I can even find it in the first place. Now that we are moving back CONUS, and I'm going to be able to start carrying again, between the wife and I, we currently have four calibers of semi automatic handgun. It sure would be nice to convert this thing to .40 an go down to only three. If the wife didn't have to shoot a 9mm, we'd go down to only two if I had my way, .40 and .45.

So, the question: I bought a factory, "keyword" factory P-229 barrel from Sig chambered in .40. From what I've always understood, this is just a drop in and it's ready to go as the .357 will produce less stress on the weapon than the .40.

Before I proceed in doing so, is this a stupid move on my part, or is it a nonissue? 25 years ago when I bought this thing, I was told that it was capable of doing that if you ever wanted to switch out calibers. I'm not going to go to the range with this thing until I hear from some SME's. Many thanks in advance.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I am a Sig armorer. Yes you may switch the barrel. I would recommend replacing the springs ,especially the recoil spring, if it is an older gun.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    As mentioned, totally good to go. Last time I ordered 229 mags they still said 357/40. One of the nicest things about 40 and 357 guns. Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Thank you! I'll order the new spring ASAP!

I love this forum. Never had a question go unanswered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just to jump on the band wagon here - pretty common in LE training circles around here. Our state academy does not furnish .357 Sig so agencies send their guys with a .40 barrel. Likewise, many of those agencies practice with .40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My P2000 in 357 Sig readily accepted a factory 40 S&W barrel which outshoots the original 357 Sig barrel. There is a very slight difference in the magazine lips between those designated 357 and 40, but I have interchanged them with the different barrels with no trouble.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So easy a caveman can do it...as aside there have been alot of various guns chambered in .357 sig that have come up for sale locally very cheap (NE area). Ive been taking advantage of that and picked up a HK P200SK and S&W M&P ridiculously cheap. Factory .40 bbls are easy to come by so dont turn down a goid deal if you come across one.

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    The Sig Store or Topgunsupply.com should have what you need available.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure it's just a drop in.

Now that you mention it, a P229 in 357 SIG sounds pretty good right now......

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I feel good about it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast