Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to AR 10 .308 platform - Ammo recommendations

Feedback Score

New to AR 10 .308 platform - Ammo recommendations

Folks,

I am looking to purchase a LMT LM308MWS with a 20" CL barrel and a 1:10 twist.

Any suggestions for ammunition for range and SHTF home defense or all purpose?

I understand the .308 is a pretty large caliber and more expensive to shoot than 5.56/.223.

I am looking for an all purpose round that I can shoot 50-100 yard + and maybe even stretch it out.

I am in CA and not many ranges with 100 yard +.

Shoots clean and is reliable.

Please excuse me in advance if not wording correctly or if I am in the wrong forum.

I have seen information on 5.56 - just have not found any .308 info.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

JJ
    Last edited by johnnymordoc; 08-31-16 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    100 yards is a crime with that gun. Pappabear was slinging a few rounds out to 1320 yards last Sunday, but it was his last 3 rounds... and didn't get on steel.

If you don't plan to reload, the XM80 is pretty good... the brass isn't that thrilling because the primer pockets are relatively loose after the first firing. The MEN ball ammo is just as good as the XM80, but the brass is WAY nicer.... holds a great primer after first firing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    ZQ1 7.62 X 51 for blasting. Federal gold medal match for accuracy. Reload for cheaper shooting. $.50/round will be as cheap as you can get for blasting ammo. $1.00-$1.40 per round for target stuff. I reload target ammo for $.60/round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    100 yards - I know - I live in Northern California - SF Bay Area - ranges are closing all over - 100 yards seems to be the max.

I only think there is only Sacramento Valley where you can shoot between 100, 300 and 1000 yards.

I suspect that I will be learning how to reload sooner than later, especially since CA is going to make you do a background check to purchase ammo and try to regulate online sales.

I am still trying to figure out the whole 7.62x51 vs .308 caliber cartridge naming and whether a .308 chambered rifle can shoot the 7.56x51 NATO?

I know that it much more expensive to shoot than 5.56 /.223 platform.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    100 yards is a crime with that gun. Pappabear was slinging a few rounds out to 1320 yards last Sunday, but it was his last 3 rounds... and didn't get on steel.

If you don't plan to reload, the XM80 is pretty good... the brass isn't that thrilling because the primer pockets are relatively loose after the first firing. The MEN ball ammo is just as good as the XM80, but the brass is WAY nicer.... holds a great primer after first firing.
    XM80 is also steel jacketed (aka "bi-metal" jacketed) while MEN is not. The MEN is not as underpowered as some 7.62 x 51 can be but it isn't as warm as XM80CL.

I want to like XM80CL for its velocity but when there are alternatives like MEN with full copper jackets are available I will pass. Fiocchi ".308A" 150gr FMJ is about as fast (expect 2825-2850fps for a 20") and is also non-magnetic and affordable.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    JoshNC and I have had excellent results with the Hirtenberger 146gr surplus that's floating around. Sgammo always seems to have a supply. I've run over 1000 rounds of it through my LMT MWS, and am getting about 2 moa on paper, and more than satisfactory performance at 550-600 yards. It's about 50 cents a round.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    i just bought 500 rounds for just under $300 of that MEN from Germany. I think Lucky Gunner was the source. You should be able to buy decent slinging ammo for .65 ish. Precision match ammo runs about 1.25 to 1.50 per round.

That is a decent guide for you. I bought the 16CL 308, it seems most of the 20 inch barrels are SS. Either way good luck!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Do you reload?

.308 is one of the few calibers I reload for, and in general I find that I am making better quality plinking/practice grade ammo, cheaper (minus my time to do it) than I can buy it for........especially since I have a mountain of once fired brass from factory ammo fired through my rifles. Shooting small groups on paper is not my thing, so very rarely do I sit down to make super duper accurate stuff. On occasion I have, and it's been a wash. Most of the factory made match grade stuff is better than what I make. Basically all I have done to wring more accuracy out of my reloads is buy better bullets, sort brass by head stamp, and do more thorough brass prep.

I save factory ammo for stockpiling, or for shooting when it's time to cull brass cases that have reached the end of their reloading life.

I have had positive exp. with these brands of 147ish grain FMJ factory ammo out of my M1a, and LR-308

PMC bronze an X-tac

Federal AE XM80

ZQI

Perfecta

and PPU

I am not a fan of Winchester or Remington ammo

I have not shot any steel out of my 308's, but plenty of 223, 9mm, 45acp, and 30 carbine. Ever since I started reloading I don't buy much steel case ammo anymore, and when i do it's usually in the calibers mentioned. I'll get around to trying some steel in the LR-308 some day, but the M1a might never see any.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    JoshNC and I have had excellent results with the Hirtenberger 146gr surplus that's floating around. Sgammo always seems to have a supply. I've run over 1000 rounds of it through my LMT MWS, and am getting about 2 moa on paper, and more than satisfactory performance at 550-600 yards. It's about 50 cents a round.
    Slippers - is this the ammo you are referring to?
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...lus-ammo-1970s

Is it really 1970 vintage?

Since you have an LMT MWS - I am looking at one of those - the 7.62 NATO rounds can be shot from the LMT although they have it listed as a .308?

I am still trying to figure out the compatibility or nomenclature of the .308 vs. 7.62 NATO.

Is it the reverse of the .223 vs. 5.56 NATO?

Thanks in advance - I am a "rookie" with this platform.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes it is the reverse. The 308 may be a bit hot. I've shot a lot of 308 with no issues. However you could get some too hot and blow primers. Slippers will have to cover the other.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast