If anyone can answer this: What is the best way to use these UHF/VHF HT radios for personal/small group communications? From my understanding most of the HAM community is more for the community than personal use. I'd mainly be doing things like off roading, hunting, or hiking and want to be able to hand a HT to another person and keep in touch. From my understanding I would be operating in the 'simplex' mode on GMRS frequencies? I want a HT that isn't just gmrs/FRS because I also want the ability to monitor and transmit in emergency situations to my local forest service, EMS, or Fire Dept. Wild fires have been a big thing in my AO lately so I want to be able to monitor that kinda stuff. I do have plans on passing the technicians exam once testing opens in my area.

The two HT's I am considering are the Baofeng UV-9r or the Radioddity GA-510. My plan is to buy a lower tier radio at first, that will become my 'hand out' radio when I get more into the hobby and figure out what DMR rig I want.

Any input would be appreciated.