Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If anyone can answer this: What is the best way to use these UHF/VHF HT radios for personal/small group communications? From my understanding most of the HAM community is more for the community than personal use. I'd mainly be doing things like off roading, hunting, or hiking and want to be able to hand a HT to another person and keep in touch. From my understanding I would be operating in the 'simplex' mode on GMRS frequencies? I want a HT that isn't just gmrs/FRS because I also want the ability to monitor and transmit in emergency situations to my local forest service, EMS, or Fire Dept. Wild fires have been a big thing in my AO lately so I want to be able to monitor that kinda stuff. I do have plans on passing the technicians exam once testing opens in my area.

The two HT's I am considering are the Baofeng UV-9r or the Radioddity GA-510. My plan is to buy a lower tier radio at first, that will become my 'hand out' radio when I get more into the hobby and figure out what DMR rig I want.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So legally you will not be able to communicate with anything other than the service for which you are licensed for. The exception is immediate threat of loss of life.

So communicating with police fire and similar agencies is highly verboten unless there is flat-out no other way to get a communication out. You're more likely to be arrested than anything else.

That said, having the capability to do so in an emergency is important to many of us. But it's something you quietly keep in your back pocket.

Increasingly, agencies are moving to technologies that are secure and commonly available radios would not be able to access them.

gmrs is unique in that it can be simplex or repeaters, has no restrictions against doing business, and can be used for family or friend communication.

In our area one group put gmrs repeaters on pretty much every pair which is starting to become problematic. But there is no guaranteed use of a frequency, so if you need to talk, you talk.

The UV-5R is a cheap way to get your feet wet. It's a remarkably good radio for $25. But even a $60-80 radio like a tyt will significantly outperform it due to better electronics.

I like the TYT MD 380 or 390. It is UHF only, but can do DMR in addition to doing analog FM like gmrs and FRS very well.

If you buy a radio like the uv5 or tyt you have to program it using a program. We are a dedicated gmrs radio will usually be front panel programmable.

The advantage of getting a UHF and VHF capable radio is you can use it on gmrs, FRS, and the VHF itinerant / color dot Frequencies.

Yes ham / amateur radio does have a conversational aspect but there's a bunch of people who only have their licenses for use in emergencies. But you can't have other family members use your license like hand them a walkie-talkie separate from you.

Feedback Score
    Thanks....I was meaning to do this for a while, so today I got my FRN number and applied for the GMRS license on-line, too. Not sure if I will do HAM, but definitely looking into a decent handset + CHIRP.

Feedback Score

Intro to Radio Communications

Never mind guess he’s banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So just thought I would pop back in because all the parts came in today.

Featured below is my ultra tacticool and ultra budget radio set up.

Boafeng UV-9R+ (8w/waterproof) - $33

Lapel mic (water proof) - $9

3.5 mm to 3.5mm jack - $5

Abbree 18" antenna - $12 (tested to be 5x more gain than stock)

Walker electronic ear pro - $55?? I already owned these. My regular range set. I want to get the gel cups.

Total = $114

I'm just using it on FRS frequencies for now. I know its not technically legal because of the antenna, but I run it on low TX so I really don't care. Once I get my tech class I will go try and call some towers and see what I can hit in my AO.

Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Our group has a HAM geek (also an MD) that is programming 8 for us.
    Shit has heated up Nationally to the point we want some assurance of comms.
    We meet as a group next week for a tutorial.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Let's talk Comms.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So just thought I would pop back in because all the parts came in today.

Featured below is my ultra tacticool and ultra budget radio set up.

Boafeng UV-9R+ (8w/waterproof) - $33

Lapel mic (water proof) - $9

3.5 mm to 3.5mm jack - $5

Abbree 18" antenna - $12 (tested to be 5x more gain than stock)

Walker electronic ear pro - $55?? I already owned these. My regular range set. I want to get the gel cups.

Total = $114

I'm just using it on FRS frequencies for now. I know its not technically legal because of the antenna, but I run it on low TX so I really don't care. Once I get my tech class I will go try and call some towers and see what I can hit in my AO.

Considering the ham jammy boomers are the ones who screwed everyone on the high power transceiver imports nobody should be caring about what the FCC says anyways.

But I digress...

Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-04-20 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    How is this unit for a handheld comms unit? Trying to get set up with some type of comms. It’s American made so I’d rather give them the money than the chicoms.
    https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/pro...e-with-support

Feedback Score
    I have made the switch to older Motorola Radios from Baofeng. You can find older (mid 2000s) Motorola Commercial radios for 50-75 bucks on eBay. I have been picking up PR400 and PM400 radios in the UHF band and programming them for our GMRS net. They work slightly better on transmit and receive vs the UV5Rs. I was able to find the old Motorola software on some Russian sight (eeks!) and a USB programming cable from eBay. I put the software on an unused older laptop in case the software is infected.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    How is this unit for a handheld comms unit? Trying to get set up with some type of comms. It’s American made so I’d rather give them the money than the chicoms.
    https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/pro...e-with-support

Made in US? Would be very surprised if it was...

That is a full featured radio. A person new to comms wouldn't be able to use three-quarters of its capability, let alone program it (DMR, etc.). If money is never an issue with you then the sky's the limit - that is a very capable radio and I bet you can find someone to program them for you. Get at least a half dozen or more for your crew.

I highly recommend Yaesu FT-65r (enter extended freq code) and an FT-2980 (with MARS mod already done) and use on MURS, GMRS for now. FT-65 is commie made but two steps above the baofengs. FT-4XR is same chipset as Baofengs, so not much gained except a bit better receive filtering.

Use quality aftermarket antennas on FT-65 (like Nagoya or Comet), get speaker mic, extra batteries (ebay chicom batts if u have to, but only buy Yaesu for speaker mics). See if they have a speaker mic that allows you to add an earphone to it. Discreet is good. If you are a real butt hurt you can get concealed earpieces. TCI used to be one of the better aftermarket, but who knows since Safariland owns them now. Tac Ear Gadgets is most likely source for regular joe concealment. And of course there are plenty of cheap eBay alternative crap.

For the base station 2980 use good transmission line (LMR400UF) and a decent exterior antenna such as Comet GP series. Weatherproof the connnections. Have 25amp 12volt power supply and backup batteries.

And a decent handheld scanner that receives ham, FRS/GMRS, LMR so you know what individuals are doing around you. If you have plenty of cash look at getting a digital trunking scanner, if the public safety agencies in your area are not encrypted. Uniden has a line that can program itself for the area you are in. Sometimes interesting to listen to, may or may not be useful to you.

FYI, unless you're on the edge of the suburbs I'd get out of the cities, period. " if you can order food delivery you're probably not out far enough"

Licensed ham for 29yrs, bad times are coming and rulez boyz can frick off and die. Get ready NOW with half decent gear. At some point you will get what you pay for.

I am not a fan of baofengs (if I have to go chicom, GD-77 pls)... But there is a beauty to having a dozen Baofengs, half of them in EMP resistant nested containers vs. a pair of $250 Chicom wonderradios you would have to figure out first.

Yah bless.

Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast