Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    LOL!

I love me some Comms.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I was literally counting the seconds before Outlander would reply .

Feedback Score
    Thinking about getting into Ham, about how much money does it take to get a mediocre setup?
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @bravo619:

Study Guide:

https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radi...udy+guide+Arrl

Baofeng UV-5R:

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R.../dp/B007H4VT7A

The Baofengs suck...but they work well enough to get you on the air and fooling around.

It's hard to make recommendations unless someone wants to be able to perform a very particular task. The Baofengs, while being the radio equivalent of a Hi-Point, make great starter/training radios.

Feedback Score
    Thx brother
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely.

If you have any questions, I may not have the answer but I'll damn sure try and help.

The Baofengs are a good way to get your feet wet. If they're approached as a training aid instead of a piece of equipment, they're great for what they are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    While riding with my wife and MIL this afternoon we got talking about emergency preparedness and means of communication between the families. My In-Laws and BIL live about 10 miles away from us, maybe two miles from each other. There is a slight hill between us and them along with some tall structures. I did some research and found that there are some repeaters in the area, including one on Mt Wilson, which is visible from all three locations and roughly within 10 miles of the furthest of the three houses.

How much does vegetation effect signals? I know at my house there are some pretty large trees that impede LOS.

Feedback Score
    This looks like the most appropriate place to ask a question reference inexpensive transceivers. I fly for an EMS outfit, we have company handhelds, but I'm looking for an inexpensive handheld to scan our dispatch freqs and also the local LE, EMS frequencies. Really more interested in receive vs transmit. What is the consensus/opinion on the BaoFeng UV-82C. It looks like a pretty good value for my purposes. I have no experience in HAM, but I've been using aviation radios for the past 48 years.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @rero360:

Generally speaking, dense vegetation affects UHF signal propagation moreso than VHF frequencies and below. The majority of the studies on this have taken place in very densely vegetated areas, particularly triple canopy jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    While riding with my wife and MIL this afternoon we got talking about emergency preparedness and means of communication between the families. My In-Laws and BIL live about 10 miles away from us, maybe two miles from each other. There is a slight hill between us and them along with some tall structures. I did some research and found that there are some repeaters in the area, including one on Mt Wilson, which is visible from all three locations and roughly within 10 miles of the furthest of the three houses.

How much does vegetation effect signals? I know at my house there are some pretty large trees that impede LOS.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    @qsy, What radios are you using for work? They may operate on frequencies outside of what the Baofengs are capable of receiving on.

Quote Originally Posted by qsy View Post
    This looks like the most appropriate place to ask a question reference inexpensive transceivers. I fly for an EMS outfit, we have company handhelds, but I'm looking for an inexpensive handheld to scan our dispatch freqs and also the local LE, EMS frequencies. Really more interested in receive vs transmit. What is the consensus/opinion on the BaoFeng UV-82C. It looks like a pretty good value for my purposes. I have no experience in HAM, but I've been using aviation radios for the past 48 years.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by qsy View Post
    Have you considered just getting a handheld scanner?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast