Quote Originally Posted by Fn/Form View Post
Made in US? Would be very surprised if it was...

That is a full featured radio. A person new to comms wouldn't be able to use three-quarters of its capability, let alone program it (DMR, etc.). If money is never an issue with you then the sky's the limit - that is a very capable radio and I bet you can find someone to program them for you. Get at least a half dozen or more for your crew.

I highly recommend Yaesu FT-65r (enter extended freq code) and an FT-2980 (with MARS mod already done) and use on MURS, GMRS for now. FT-65 is commie made but two steps above the baofengs. FT-4XR is same chipset as Baofengs, so not much gained except a bit better receive filtering.

Use quality aftermarket antennas on FT-65 (like Nagoya or Comet), get speaker mic, extra batteries (ebay chicom batts if u have to, but only buy Yaesu for speaker mics). See if they have a speaker mic that allows you to add an earphone to it. Discreet is good. If you are a real butt hurt you can get concealed earpieces. TCI used to be one of the better aftermarket, but who knows since Safariland owns them now. Tac Ear Gadgets is most likely source for regular joe concealment. And of course there are plenty of cheap eBay alternative crap.

For the base station 2980 use good transmission line (LMR400UF) and a decent exterior antenna such as Comet GP series. Weatherproof the connnections. Have 25amp 12volt power supply and backup batteries.

And a decent handheld scanner that receives ham, FRS/GMRS, LMR so you know what individuals are doing around you. If you have plenty of cash look at getting a digital trunking scanner, if the public safety agencies in your area are not encrypted. Uniden has a line that can program itself for the area you are in. Sometimes interesting to listen to, may or may not be useful to you.

FYI, unless you're on the edge of the suburbs I'd get out of the cities, period. " if you can order food delivery you're probably not out far enough"

Licensed ham for 29yrs, bad times are coming and rulez boyz can frick off and die. Get ready NOW with half decent gear. At some point you will get what you pay for.

I am not a fan of baofengs (if I have to go chicom, GD-77 pls)... But there is a beauty to having a dozen Baofengs, half of them in EMP resistant nested containers vs. a pair of $250 Chicom wonderradios you would have to figure out first.

Yah bless.
Thank you for all of that. I don’t know really anything about radios. I’m going to suggest and re read what you’ve written. But I do know you’re better off to buy quality stuff as you generally get what you pay for. I was also looking at this one too.

https://www.retevis.com/Ailunce-HD1-...-Radio/#A9131A

Which of the two would you think better for someone like me? Or is your suggestion still ft65r?
I’m at the point if it goes south rule boiz can blow me.

We don’t live in town. And we’re surrounded with a lot of like minded individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk