Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLink View Post
    I'm looking for a pair of handheld radios that can also listen in to radio and weather information and has basic encryption (128-bit static key, basically WEP) enabled for private conversations.

Any suggestions? Willing to spend up to $200 for each.
    Two questions:

1) Do you want them to be legal to use?

2) Do you hold an FCC license in any Part 90 radio service

Feedback Score
    You can even find full classes for the Technician's license on YouTube.
    The thing about ham radio today is that people study, get their license, then (maybe) learn how to operate -- in that order. Unfortunately the majority of newly licensed ham radio operators, never get around to that last step.

The sequence used to be different a long time ago when you actually had to learn something before getting your license, but now probably about two-thirds of newly licensed hams either never get on the air (because they can't figure out how to program their $30 handheld radio) or lose interest in less than a year (generally because they never found anything to do that couldn't be done easier and better with a cell phone).

Ham radio can be a hobby or a tool -- as a hobby it's like any other hobby, you generally need to get involved with others before you get much out of it. As a tool, you need to learn how it works. Too many "preppers" see ham radio as a communications tool so they get radios and maybe a license, but they never get the real world knowledge needed to get full use of it.

Feedback Score
    1) Yes

2)I'm talking the Technician exam within the next month or 2. Whenever I can schedule.

I would like a radio that would be good for intermediate use, I was in US Army Signal Corps for 5 years and I did program radios in Afghanistan and during training ops. I still need the HAM radio license to use on the civilian channels but I'm not completely new to the concepts of how radios work.
    NRA Benefactor
    US Army Signal Corps Vet
    Basic Prepper

Feedback Score
    I have a pair of Midland talkers for basic comms between my family in an emergency. But since my primary plan is bunker down I'd like something more powerful and long range.
    NRA Benefactor
    US Army Signal Corps Vet
    Basic Prepper

Feedback Score
    1) Yes

2)I'm talking the Technician exam within the next month or 2. Whenever I can schedule.

I would like a radio that would be good for intermediate use, I was in US Army Signal Corps for 5 years and I did program radios in Afghanistan and during training ops. I still need the HAM radio license to use on the civilian channels but I'm not completely new to the concepts of how radios work.
    Those are good answers but they rule out one of the things you asked for...

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLink
    I'm looking for a pair of handheld radios that can also listen in to radio and weather information and has basic encryption (128-bit static key, basically WEP) enabled for private conversations.
    Any form of encryption is absolutely forbidden within amateur radio.

While the government uses encryption whenever/wherever they like, civilian use of encryption is more restricted.

The entire radio frequency spectrum is divided into allocations which are assigned to various radio services. Each service has its only rules and regulations each of which are contained in various "Parts" of Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations ("47 CFR"). Since ALL the radio regulations are in Title 47, whenever radio people talk about the various parts we generally refer to the rules by just the Part number. For example the regulations for the Amateur Radio Service are found in 47CFR97 but we would normally just say "Part 97" because there is no need to specify Title 47.

There are a number of radio services that are available for civilian voice communications, but not all of them are practical for legal use. Some of the services available and the "Part" containing their regulations are:
    Part 80 - Maritime - generally only available to ships and boats, plus specifically licensed shore stations that are only allowed to talk to ships and boats
    Part 87 - Aviation - generally only available to aircraft, plus specifically licensed ground stations that are only allowed to talk to aircraft
    Part 90 - Land Mobile - includes Public Safety (Police, Fire, EMS, etc) and Commercial users (Basically these are the only services where encryption is legal)
    Part 95 - "Personal Radio Services" - includes CB, GMRS, FRS, MURS
    Part 97 - Amateur Radio Service

There are lots of other "services" such as commercial and non-commercial broadcast radio and TV, but the services listed above are basically the only ones where an individual would be able to legally talk to another individual over the radio.

ALL of these services require a "Station License" - CB, FRS, and MURS are usually called 'unlicensed' or 'license free' but legally they are actually "licensed by rule" which means that anyone who meets the eligibility requirements of the rules for that service is automatically "licensed" to operate a station provided the station also meets the technical requirements of the rules for that radio service. Some maritime and aviation stations are also "licensed by rule" (generally low power stations on boats and aircraft). Land Mobile stations and GMRS stations are required to have a station license which covers multiple stations operating together as a system (for example an entire family would be covered by one GMRS station license, and all the police radios in a police department would be covered by one license issued to the department). The Amateur Radio Service is unique in that it requires both a Station License AND an Operator License. A licensed amateur radio station can only be operated by a licensed amateur radio operator. When you pass your test for a Technician class Amateur Radio License you will be issued what is called a "Primary License" which includes both a Station License and an Operator License. Legally your callsign is assigned to your station, not to you as an operator. If you were visiting another amateur's station, legally you would use their callsign, not your own (although there are some exceptions to this). In the US, every amateur radio Operator license includes a Station license; but there are also station licenses that do not include an operator license. These station licenses are typically issued to clubs. For example, club station license W1AW is issued to the American Radio Relay League.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Easy.

Once you get your Tech, pick up an Icom ID51A. It'll do everything you want, and then some.

I have a pair of Midland talkers for basic comms between my family in an emergency. But since my primary plan is bunker down I'd like something more powerful and long range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Easy.

Once you get your Tech, pick up an Icom ID51A. It'll do everything you want, and then some.
    At a bit over $300 each, the current version Icom ID51A-Plus-2 is a nice radio -- if there are any DSTAR repeaters in your area. But when did the Icom start including illegal encryption?

Minus the encryption he can do everything he asked for with a radio one-tenth the price of the ID51A-Plus-2. And if he really wanted to have encryption available (while not using it, of course), there are a number of inexpensive radios available, some of which are even Part 90 approved if he decided to go that route to be able to use encryption legally.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I know that dude.

The D-Star Repeater availability/DX functionality is secondary to a good number of the available features of the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by n4aof View Post
    At a bit over $300 each, the current version Icom ID51A-Plus-2 is a nice radio -- if there are any DSTAR repeaters in your area. But when did the Icom start including illegal encryption?

Minus the encryption he can do everything he asked for with a radio one-tenth the price of the ID51A-Plus-2. And if he really wanted to have encryption available (while not using it, of course), there are a number of inexpensive radios available, some of which are even Part 90 approved if he decided to go that route to be able to use encryption legally.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Let's talk Comms.

Lol at the folks getting butthurt over proper comms compliance.

Like really guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Don't get me started, the comms guys who like to cite chapter and verse of FCC regulations are like the guys at the range who complain about "rapid fire" and ask if your AR is "legal".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast