Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    2Meter VHF Ham is the way to go.
    Yep. I have a Yaesu FT60r and the AA clamshell and at least 16 batteries on me and the original lithium charged battery. In that radio are programmed all the local, regional and even some national freqs like NOAA. I've also "modified" my radio to allow me to communicate on stations beyond my licensure (ie., sheriff, ems, SAR, etc.) which is lawful to do if life is on the line. I'm in my local county's search and rescue unit and I know where to listen when SHTF and civil order is lost locally. I also have a separate handheld scanner and batteries in my go bag as backup just to listen.

And in most disasters, if you know what to listen for and you have the means to listen in on what's happening, that's all you need...not real need to talk back mostly unless you're part of a unit providing comms.

Also, if you're in an area that has CERT training, go get certified and keep in the loop so you can be a hero in your neighborhood and be an asset to local government when the time comes if you can.

Sadly, in most survival type topics on various forums I belong to, communications are grossly overlooked. Without being plugged in, paranoia runs amok...(see Stephen King's 'The Mist')

Feedback Score
    Folks, I just read this thread, and I've got to say one thing.

Damn, it's good to work with professionals....This is the most NO-BS disaster thread I've ever seen. No FCC Junior SWAT aholes threatening doom and gloom, no nonsense.

I've been involved in comms for a long time...I actually started with a professional FCC license (third class) and moved up to a first phone, and using radios in the military, long before I got my ham ticket (extra, now). The analysis here is spot on, in modes, equipment, and the attitude of some 'ham helper' groups.

NVIS is good, as stated. One thing to keep in mind though is that even an entire bag full of commo tricks may not work if the ether fairys are against us. NVIS, HF, ALE, meteor, moonbounce, all work sometimes, and sometimes nothing at all will work.

Also, there are several questions along the lines of 'what do I need to go x miles?". Alas, there's no magic formula that you can use to figure that out. There are a LOT of variables, the power output of the transmitter(s), the sensitivity of the receiver(s), the elevations above sea level and above average ground height) of the antennas, the terrain you're transmitting over, the frequencies you can use, the condition of the coax connecting the antennas and radios, the efficiency of the antennas, and the mentioned ether fairys all have a say.

Just adding more power isn't a guarantee, neither is a really good antenna, but I'd spend more money and time on a good antenna than a bigger transmitter.

And much like buying a new gun, when you should include the cost of the accessories you need (optics, mags, sling, spare parts, cleaning gear, ammo, etc) in the price of the gun, there are spares you should get when you buy a new radio - especially handhelds. I always get a higher capacity rechargeable battery and quick charger, a battery case that takes AA batteries, a spare (higher performance) portable antenna (the Diamonds are pretty good), an adapter to allow using the HT on a vehicle antenna (if I don't have one already), a speaker-mic, a belt case (not hook, something that actually provides protection) and if it uses it, programming software and a cable (unless you really have time to program 200+ channels with freq, offset, tone, alpha one letter at a time, etc).

I've used ham radios from the 4 main manufacturers (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco). These days I prefer the Yaesu, but it's a toss-up with Icom. I've had to send radios back to the factory for service, and both Icom and Yaesu were top notch and fast, Kenwood was mainly incompetent and took 6 months to resolve the issue. Alinco is very hit and miss.

In addition to the FT-897, I also like the FT-857. Same capabilities but a lot smaller form factor, it's about the size of a 2meter mobile. Add a separate battery pack and you've got a nice size radio.

And if you want a near bullet-proof HF radio, an Icom Marine SSB radio is great...as is anything from Motorola/Mobat like the Micom series. Good for beginners, too: You put in a frequency and talk on it (or not). Hard to screw up directions like set channel 24.

And while the B&W antennas are great (you can buy just the antenna for around $300), I did some testing one day with a B&W and a G5RV (purchased for $50, or you can make your own) and couldn't see any appreciable difference at distances from 20 to 500 miles.
    Last edited by Flight-ER-Doc; 04-25-10 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-10-10 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    I ordered the antenna and an offset attenuator.
    Hope the big brown truck shows up sometime next week and get to try it out.
    Have to get my general and try out HF maybe.

Edit: Got the stuff but have been in the middle of a mini-blizzard here so haven't gotten out to try it.
    Any new updates?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Random things to add for you new guys:

When you fill out your license application, use a PO Box. Otherwise, you've just provided every douche bag who is interested in it a map to your house and the fact that you own expensive comms gear. If you haven't already done it, GET a PO box and change your license address to it.

This can prevent theft, as well as post-teotwawki problems, as well as pissed off local ham douchebags showing up and pinning your coax one night.

Good general precaution to take.
    Never thought of this
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Any new updates?
    No, not yet.
    Just plain got to doing other thigs and haven't done it yet; that and it seems that the good passes are always at 3:00 in the morning.
    Was in the DC area last week and intended to try to do direct sat comms to a guy back here but never had the chance; too many things to do in a short time.
    Last edited by 11Bravo; 04-25-10 at 22:01.
    Don't Fear The Night.
    Fear What Hunts At Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Feedback Score
    I agree with the CB's. i have one and there are plenty of people who have them. tho they only work for a bout a mile or so.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Hi folks.

Just for a moment lets consider that we are not talking about "natural disaster". Lets consider the possibility of an event that is entirely man made. For instance some sort of an EMP device. No this does not need to be a nuke. Or the possibility of trying to operate in an environment full of high power intentional RF noise (jamming). Do not forget the need to develop visual comms skills. Semaphore with the use of binoculars will allow you to communicate in any clear line of sight environment. Morse code via flashing light can be used over longer ranges even over the horizon if the light source is powerful enough to light up a cloud. These forms of communication are also much more secure than broadcasting your plans or intentions on the air waves. Morse code can almost be considered secure because the military (USN excluded) doesn't even teach it to their radio men anymore.

I only say these things to give you something to think about... just saying is all..

Vince
    Last edited by EW1066; 05-28-10 at 11:45.

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast