Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Very good information here. Faith, Quiet and Dave5339 are spot on.

I too have incorporated Ham into my plan/operation. Hoping to upgrade to General sometime in the fall. I too believe the FT 897 is the way to go for the same reasons stated.

Just like ARs, the accessories can expand your radio's capabilities. In addition to the equipment mentioned here, a Yaesu Ft 8800R cross band repeating radio and a simplex repeater can widen your "patrol area"

Some accessories that are worth their weight in gold are "do it yourself" In You can "boost" your 2m VHF radios with a simple J-Pole antenna made of TV twin lead that fits in a tent stake pouch. Trade off is similiar to HF; you'll have to stop and deploy the antenna by haning it in a tree.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-10-10 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    If anyone's interested, I can expand on this a bit more.
    Interested.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Here's what I'm looking for:

1) A base station that can receive/transmit as far as possible without requiring licensing
    2) A base station that is mountable in a standard 19" equipment rack
    4) Mobile/Handheld units compatible with the main base station

Pretty simple. My relatives all live within a 5-6 mile radius from my house, so it would be nice to stay in contact with them via radio if the main grid ever went down. Obviously, greater ranges would be better, but I have no idea how to even begin going that route.

It seems like CB might work for me, but I know pretty much nothing about the subject, whatsoever.

It would also be nice to be able to hear what's going on in the outside world, if the excrement hit the oscillator. Are there any units out there that offer the capability to receive but not transmit? Is it possible to extend the range of reception without transmission, legally? How?

My needs are pretty basic:

1) Stay in touch with family
    2) Monitor beyond my locality

Again, longer distance = better, but I'm starting out from square one. I didn't expect some of the responses received.

I really need some hand-holding on this. Any links for comprehensive information? Any recommended products for my aforementioned list of stuff I'd like to have?

Obviously more range is more desirable, and if licensing isn't extremely high-priced, then it's an avenue I may be interested in.

Consider my perspective to this area being a guy going from a break-action shotgun, and wanting to dive into NFA, showing up in the AR-General Discussion section.

Feedback Score
    22 (96%)
    All of this information is VERY interesting, seeing as I am a total idiot with respect to radio communication and such.

A couple of questions:

Where can I go to get a license?

Where can I go to buy some of these receivers/transmitters? How much do they cost?
    Last edited by CJGarza; 08-23-09 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CJGarza View Post
    All of this information is VERY interesting, seeing as I am a total idiot with respect to radio communication and such.
    A couple of questions:
    Where can I go to get a license?
    Where can I go to buy some of these receivers/transmitters? How much do they cost?
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Put in your zip and distance and find a test site.
    Tech license is quite easy and I think now $15.
    Fairly simple HT (handy talkies -what most people think of as walkie talkies) can start around $100-ish.
    Base stations can be thousands.
    Find a nice simple dual-band HT (VHF/2meter - UHF/70cm) and you're off.
    Get a copy of ARRL Repeater Directory and ask questions of people you meet.
    Most of them will be happy to answer questions.
    A good place from which to purchase is hamcity.com.
    They seem to be a little lower in price than most and are very helpful.

BUT- be advised...
    This hobby is just as expensive as shootin' irons and can easily be just as addictive.

Greg
    WØGRB
    Don't Fear The Night.
    Fear What Hunts At Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Feedback Score
    22 (96%)
    Thanks for the links 11Bravo.

Again, very useful.

How useful are the handheld radios (the "walkies") vs the "base station" style radios? I ask because it would be so convienient to just grab the handheld radio and chuck it into a pack, the other one seems like it would take up much more space. Can I get away with just the smaller one, or should it be used as a supplemental piece of hardware?

Feedback Score
    HTs are, well, handy.
    With output up to maybe 6 watts range is somewhat limited, but bigger antennas tuned to a particular band help with that.
    Really, a "system" would be most useful.
    Non-mobile, longer range would be a base station.
    They can be very heavy and need a lot of juice to run.
    Mobile radio in the car.
    HT for footborne/ATV/boat ops.
    Right now I do not have a base station; I am looking at a 4-band mobile for use at home as opposed to a full-blown base because it's cheaper and takes up less room.

Like anything else, first step is to determine what you are wanting.
    If you just want to monitor others a scanner will do you.
    If you want short range comms (more than FRS/GMRS* and CB) a (couple) HT(s) will work well.
    Want medium range, look at a unit designed for use in vehicles.
    Long range? You'll need a base and look for an all-bander.
    That'll require licenses beyond the tech but you'll be able to comm intercontinentally.
    Literally.

Go to http://www.hamtestonline.com/ and take some sample tests, starting with the tech one.
    Go take the test when you're comfortable you'll pass it and start finding out what its all about.

*GMRS legally requires a FCC license; I think $75 each.
    For less than $50 you can take all three ham tests and do much more.
    Don't Fear The Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use a standard full power Marine Radio and have a eight foot antenna on the roof, in-laws have the same set-up and they are 9.6 miles away. Clear com with none of the chatter a CB has, plus the cost is very low.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I use a standard full power Marine Radio and have a eight foot antenna on the roof, in-laws have the same set-up and they are 9.6 miles away. Clear com with none of the chatter a CB has, plus the cost is very low.
    Uh, um, OK, if that works for you, but just a note, use of marine radios for land based comms is illegal.
    Just sayin'.
    Don't Fear The Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast