Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Subscribed.
    What You Think About You Do ... What You Do You Become.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    "A nation of sheep . . . begets a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for lunch.
    A Republic, built on support for man's individual Liberty, is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    I've got a pair of Baofengs that work well. Just getting into Ham and wanted to start cheap
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies. - C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So if I wish to just listen for now would a good scanner come into play?
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Consider this a partial space saver as I'll share my cherry popping experience of venturing into the comms world as a newbie in the next couple days, so hopefully it will help some folks.

In the interim www.radioreference.com has proven exceptionally valuable when it comes to learning some of the basics about hardware and what not. I'm convinced HAM folks are a bit odd but if you sift through all the ancillary annoyances good info can be found.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 10-20-14 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    I got my Icom 7200 and set it up to a computer running WSPR software that sends out beacons with my call sign.

Using only 2-8 watts and a wire antenna low to the ground, it was spotted in Australia (18836km away), Brazil, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Belgium, Engand, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Ontario, and lots of US states.

Note that you can't compare this to voice communications as the data is very narrow bandwidth so it can be decoded with a much higher signal-to-noise ratio. It also takes two minutes to send just 72 bits/13 characters - but that is why such low power can be decoded so far away.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    What sort of antenna setup are you running with this?

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I got my Icom 7200 and set it up to a computer running WSPR software that sends out beacons with my call sign.

Using only 2-8 watts and a wire antenna low to the ground, it was spotted in Australia (18836km away), Brazil, New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Belgium, Engand, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Ontario, and lots of US states.

Note that you can't compare this to voice communications as the data is very narrow bandwidth so it can be decoded with a much higher signal-to-noise ratio. It also takes two minutes to send just 72 bits/13 characters - but that is why such low power can be decoded so far away.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dudes, if you are even remotely serious about Comms:

Buy a $28 Baofeng BF-F8+:
    http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8-.../dp/B00FMIYEKW

Get a copy of the ARRL Technician Study guide:
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio...license+manual

Take your test:
    http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session

Six years ago, when I posted the OP in this thread, to get started with a single-band HT would have set you back $200 to see if you were even interested in getting into this area of Comms. The list above, includes a multiband radio, a complete guide to get you to pass your exam, and the $15 to take the test; the whole thing shouldn't set you back more than $75 tops. The little Baofeng will let you monitor the common VHF/UHF ham bands, and also allow you to operate on the five MURS frequencies, license-free, if you transmit on low-power (1-watt).

To "wet my beak" in the HF world, I am looking for an old DX-302 Receiver to keep me spinning dials while I study up for the General-Class License.

The following article should motivate your ass off the couch and move forward with a real Comms plan:

http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/c...hy-you-should/

I pushed the staff to give us a Comms Subforum here, but they cited a lack of interest.

If anyone wants to help contribute to a "Comms for Non-Nerds Thread" let me know, as I'll probably start working one up shortly.

ITS did a great job with that article, throwing out the bullshit and keeping the Ice Cream for the cool-kid crowd.

Some of you might appreciate this:

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 11-04-15 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this, this is something that I have really been wanting to get into.

I think this is something people are intimidated by and just do not want to take the time to get into.

This topic and prep is easily one of the most over looked preps.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely. It definitely comes across as head-spinning at first, and it took me 6 years to slap myself and get going.

If you get the chance, read the article by ITS. They really made the entire idea of ham radio very approachable for folks who are hanging on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
    Thanks for posting this, this is something that I have really been wanting to get into.

I think this is something people are intimidated by and just do not want to take the time to get into.

This topic and prep is easily one of the most over looked preps.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast