Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Welcome to the club!

The FCC is pretty quick wth dispersing first call sign. I'm waiting on my vanity however and it's taking a little longer than I'd hope. Holidays I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nice set of HAM tools at this link and some Win10 specific info and tools.

http://www.kb6nu.com/2016-ham-pack-now-available/

Feedback Score
    I just passed my Tech exam a few weeks ago and I am looking to get a good "mid grade" handheld. Been looking at the Yaesu VX-6R and the FT-60R. As far as reviews go, it seems like a lot of guys are recommending the FT-60R. If anyone would like to chime in, I'm all ears. My price range is about $200.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Firstly, congratulations and welcome to the party!

Between the two, I would go with the FT-60R. It's pretty much the "standard" as far as HTs go.

Also, consider the FT-2900R. It's beast mode at 75-watts, and Gigaparts is stocking them for $119. It's a single-bander, but it's a helluva deal for a very solid radio. You could pair it with an FT-252 for $89 and have a great setup.

Everyone, including myself, goes with a handheld first. You'll come to see the handheld as a "pistol" and a mobile/base as a "rifle." Depending on your local terrain, and repeater coverage, you may find yourself wanting to do more "rifle" stuff with your "pistol."

A combo setup, like the above, covers all the bases, and gets you hitting the ground running for under $250.

You give up the UHF band, but you'd have two solid performing devices from a known, quality, manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I just passed my Tech exam a few weeks ago and I am looking to get a good "mid grade" handheld. Been looking at the Yaesu VX-6R and the FT-60R. As far as reviews go, it seems like a lot of guys are recommending the FT-60R. If anyone would like to chime in, I'm all ears. My price range is about $200.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-08-16 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    Cool thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help.

I don't know what the repeater coverage is in A Cardboard Box, but I would hit up: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...?state_id=none and see what the most common repeaters are in your A.O.

That may also help.

Cool thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I second the ft 2900r. I bought one and did its rock solid... It's also mil-spec so bonus

Feedback Score
    Lol, my cardboard box has great repeater coverage! ;-) I'm in Utah. Thanks for the link! I am going to a HAM meet and greet tomorrow morning to try and find an Elmer.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dude, thing is burly. I'm pretty sure it could double as armor if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    I second the ft 2900r. I bought one and did its rock solid... It's also mil-spec so bonus
    ; )

Good luck! I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 40, prepare to feel young again.

Lol, my cardboard box has great repeater coverage! ;-) I'm in Utah. Thanks for the link! I am going to a HAM meet and greet tomorrow morning to try and find an Elmer.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple puxing 777 we use on our extended 4wheeler trips. I can use it with a roll up jpole and a 35watt amp for extended range works pretty well and it will run off of a 12 wheeler battery or even a sealed 12 feeder battery.

Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast