Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    Juyst revieved this via email and thought i would share. What do the comm guru's here think about this particular radio?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=572929
    It's probably a FRS/GMRS combination radio. Using a GMRS repeater, yes. 30 miles one way using an HT? Nope.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Conversely, I've used a handheld running 500mw from the cabin of an aircraft at 700 feet to talk to a repeater with an antenna at 50ft over 70 miles away, with a good enough signal to activate the repeater's autopatch (a phone connection) and make a phone call.

I was hiking the AT a couple of weeks ago and was at 4100ft ASL on the Southern rim of Burkes Garden on the Tazewell/Bland Co VA border.

I worked a guy in Winston Salem NC on a half-watt on a VX-170 with a rubber duck antenna(not factory but a 3rd party upgrade. The factory would still have worked fine).

The repeater was in Sparta and was on a freq I had saved in the radio for Charleston,WV and I was curious where it was to be so strong(and by the calls, it was obviously in '4' Land where CH, WV is '8' Land).

The repeater was 40 miles away and the fellow on the otheer end was 90 miles from my location as measured on Google Earth.

1/2 Watt and five by five signal.

There is no substitute for elevation.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Roger that,thanks much guys.

Quietshooter...which frequency range would you suggest for communicating in a heavily wooded area?

From your link above.

1.)VHF 150-162 MHz (VX-424)
    2.)VHF 162-174 MHz (VX-424)
    Last edited by 03humpalot; 09-27-09 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    There's no way in hell you're going to get even 3 miles out of a GMRS handheld if you're talking to another handheld.

In re ARES:
    It appears to me that the guy who runs hamsexy.com has a real hardon for ARES/RACES and amateurs in general, especially if he has to resort to really bad photoshopped images to make his point. All he's doing is painting bad bad picture for all of us, not just the bozos.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    Roger that,thanks much guys.

Quietshooter...which frequency range would you suggest for communicating in a heavily wooded area?

From your link above.

1.)VHF 150-162 MHz (VX-424)
    2.)VHF 162-174 MHz (VX-424)

1 will be slightly better but the two are so close together, there will be little practical difference.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-27-09 at 12:44.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score

Wouxun

I have to admit... beyond using this stuff, I was never much of a commo guy - I want to get a handheld/portable/rover and have seen this brand a lot shopping the internet...

I have never heard the name before, is it a good brand? Why not get one? Run like hell? Please share what you know...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    I have to admit... beyond using this stuff, I was never much of a commo guy - I want to get a handheld/portable/rover and have seen this brand a lot shopping the internet...

I have never heard the name before, is it a good brand? Why not get one? Run like hell? Please share what you know...
    Which brand, sir?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    1 will be slightly better but the two are so close together, there will be little practical difference.
    Agreed, except that I'd go for 1 ALSO because the higher range is almost exclusively mil/govt freqs, so I'd be a little more cautious about freebanding in there.

Really, your best buy is the VX-8. It'll do all that and more, and it's under 400 bones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Which brand, sir?
    According to his post title, the brand is: Wouxun

They're a Chinese manufacturer of two-ways.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st_judas View Post
    According to his post title, the brand is: Wouxun

They're a Chinese manufacturer of two-ways.
    Never heard of them. I ask you this, though - would you order a gun from Hoo Flung Poo and trust it to save your ass?

Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast