Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the rain AAR - a case for KISS.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I just got done talking to all my buddies, and they state their T1/T2s fogged as well. One thought his T2 lens covers were fogging, removed the covers, and the lens itself fogged about 10 mins later. Maybe it wasn't an ACOG issue at all.

But that leads me to wonder what the hell would make a lens fog like that while shooting? If you were to breath heavily on a piece of glass and watch the fog form, that would be exactly what occurred each time we shot.

Definitely getting some of that cat crap paste and will report back next hurricane.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Definitely getting some of that cat crap paste and will report back next hurricane.
    For what it's worth, the liquid cat crap spray is garbage. The paste is the good stuff. I use it on everything from eye pro to optic lenses, as well as motorcycle helmet visors. Never had my Oakley's fog when running around pretending I was relevant and sweating my balls off in the process.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    For what it's worth, the liquid cat crap spray is garbage. The paste is the good stuff. I use it on everything from eye pro to optic lenses, as well as motorcycle helmet visors. Never had my Oakley's fog when running around pretending I was relevant and sweating my balls off in the process.
    I'll have to try some paste because the cat crap spray I have is crap....
    That's the hardest thing for me during training is my eye pro fogging bc I swear like there is a rain cloud on my head like in the cartoons.

Euro, could it be the heat from the blow back gases mixed with the extra humidity causing the fogging each shot? I know when the humidity is higher outside, the heat from my face dogs my glasses immediately after wiping them clean and pulling them back on my face.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    A cost effective alternative is putting a film of shaving cream on your eye pro and wiping it off with a dry cloth.

I did that for years on visors, works like a champ. Haven't tried it on optics, but it worked well for my eye pro on deployments. I did it for a long time until a friend gave me the Cat Crap paste, and I just haven't stopped using it since.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Euro-This has been a very informative thread. Thanks for starting it, I'm going tohave to get out and try some stuff in the rain.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The mystery continues.

Cats paste worked great. No fogging on the ACOG. However, I did not experience the "fog" with the IR laser. My only guess is that it was not as dark (It was dusk, but not midnight like last time) and so there was enough ambient light to make the IR illum obscuring the target a non-issue.

In case anyone doubts that it was raining...and a picture of the "smoke/fog" effect that shows up after firing 5+ rounds of 5.56mm suppressed.

Attachment 41489

Attachment 41488

See the below video:

Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-15-16 at 08:26. Reason: I am not a "youtube dude" by any means - sorry for the editing.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    That smoke is the byproduct of the type of ammo and is exaggerated by shooting in low light. It's worse with SBRs.

It will be present under white light, too. We don't normally notice it shooting outside in sunlight, but in a shoot house or indoor range, you'll see the smoke after firing. It's just the nature of the beast with dirty ammo, and unfortunately there is no fix.

Also, make sure guys aren't painting suppressor mounts. The heat under the can will burn the paint and they smoke like crazy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A cost effective alternative is putting a film of shaving cream on your eye pro and wiping it off with a dry cloth.

I did that for years on visors, works like a champ. Haven't tried it on optics, but it worked well for my eye pro on deployments. I did it for a long time until a friend gave me the Cat Crap paste, and I just haven't stopped using it since.
    White foam, correct? What brand shaving cream(s)?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    White foam, correct? What brand shaving cream(s)?
    I buy Barbasol for no other reason than my love for Jurassic Park. I imagine that most any shaving cream will work the same, but I don't know for sure. I believe that it's the actual soap leaving behind a film that makes it resistant to fogging, but once again, no idea about the science. I'm just a simple Paratrooper.

But I can not recommend the Cat Crap paste highly enough. It's cheap and it works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I buy Barbasol for no other reason than my love for Jurassic Park. I imagine that most any shaving cream will work the same, but I don't know for sure. I believe that it's the actual soap leaving behind a film that makes it resistant to fogging, but once again, no idea about the science. I'm just a simple Paratrooper.

But I can not recommend the Cat Crap paste highly enough. It's cheap and it works.
    I've had the same luck with Barbasol, but it was the only thing available for goggles in the early 1980's. We also used it to remove black boot marks off tile floors. Hell, some of us even shaved with it.
    Train 2 Win

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast