Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $300 budget....

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

$300 budget....

My better half has graciously allowed me to spend $300 +/- for an optic for my new DD. I could just run iron sights, save another hundred bucks, and get one in the spring. I have found an Aimpoint Comp C for $275. I know it is not made any longer, so don't know if that's worth the 'deal.' But it IS an Aimpoint. Also, can get a EOTech 512 for $300.

Any suggestions for other RDSs I may be missing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

$300 budget....

I would be checking my couch cushions for change and seeing if I had any scrap copper pipe in the basement.
    https://www.amazon.com/Aimpoint-Carb.../dp/B00OQ6ALHQ

Primary Arms has it for a little less.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/aimpoint-...ight/p/200174/
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 09-03-16 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yeah, I was looking at that. As I just dropped a metric shit-ton of $ on grad school, I really don't have a lot of wiggle room unless I just wait till after the new year (which I might).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at that. As I just dropped a metric shit-ton of $ on grad school, I really don't have a lot of wiggle room unless I just wait till after the new year (which I might).
    Yeah, I would wait. In the meantime, stash a buck or two here and there.

Feedback Score
    Check EE and local forums. I scored an Aimpoint ML 3 for $325 on a local forum. It came with an arms mount too.

Feedback Score
    Im running irons till i can afford the optic I want next year.

I have and adm recon 30mm qd mount i got used for 90 shipped to me (used)

I am saving for a us optics 1-6 for my 300 blk pistol build

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

$300 budget....

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    My better half has graciously allowed me to spend $300 +/- for an optic for my new DD. I could just run iron sights, save another hundred bucks, and get one in the spring. I have found an Aimpoint Comp C for $275. I know it is not made any longer, so don't know if that's worth the 'deal.' But it IS an Aimpoint. Also, can get a EOTech 512 for $300.

Any suggestions for other RDSs I may be missing?
    Before I would recommend anything I'd like to ask you a question or two.

1. What's the purpose of your weapon or rifle?

2. Have you ever used either optic? Not brand but type.. Have you used a red dot and a HWS? (Holographic Weapon Sight)

3. What are the most important attributes that your optic need to have? I would suggest that price tag, while an important attribute should not be the only important one.

I can relate to your situation. No had to save up 4 months to get my optic but it was worth it. I now have the exact optic I want and over 2 years later and a few more builds later it is still the optic on my go-to weapon.

So I wrote down what the most important features or attributes were. I talked to some brothers who had used both red dots and HWS in combat and listened to why the optic was still their go-to optic out in the world. (Civilian world)

If you just want something to plink targets then my suggestions are probably pointless, but if this is a HD weapon, or a SHTF weapon, I would definitely weigh out the features. Obvious ones are AP's battery life vs the EOTech...most, if not every person I talked to told me target acquisition was faster when fighting through the ring vs the dot....etc. etc. but make your own list of priorities and go from there. In the end if you need to save up more to get a more current model or different features, I highly recommend saving up a little more. I even found some old stuff to sell and add to the "The Fund". There are other ways to save up so you don't have to wait as long.

That's the route I took. That's the route a good friend who is also a SME on the forum suggested I take and he was spot on. In fact with the important pieces of kit or parts, I still follow his advice. (And still ask a lot of questions. lol)

Either direction I hope you get the optic that you need. Good luck!

RTT
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-03-16 at 08:30.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

$300 budget....

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Before I would recommend anything I'd like to ask you a question or two.

1. What's the purpose of your weapon or rifle?

2. Have you ever used either optic? Not brand but type.. Have you used a red dot and a HWS? (Holographic Weapon Sight)

3. What are the most important attributes that your optic need to have? I would suggest that price tag, while an important attribute should not be the only important one.

I can relate to your situation. I had to save up 4 months to get my optic but it was worth it. I now have the exact optic I want and over 2 years later and a few more builds later it is still the optic on my go-to weapon.

So I wrote down what the most important features or attributes were. I talked to some brothers who had used both red dot and HWS in combat and listened to why the optic was still their go-to optic out in the world. (Civilian world)

If you just want something to plink targets then my suggestions are probably pointless, but if this is a HD weapon, or a SHTF weapon, I would definitely weigh out the features. Obvious ones are AP's battery life vs the EOTech ring...most, if not every person I talked to told me target acquisition was faster when fighting through the ring vs the dot....etc. etc. but make your own list of priorities and go from there. In the end if you need to save up more to get a more current model or different features, I highly recommend saving up a little more. I even found some old stuff to sell and add to the "The Fund". There are other ways to save up so you don't have to wait as long.

That's the route I took. That's the route a good friend who is also a SME on the forum suggested I take and he was spot on. In fact with the important pieces of kit or parts, I still follow his advice. (And still ask a lot of questions. lol)

Either direction I hope you get the optic that you need. Good luck!

RTT
    Sorry for all the misspellings. &$*#} smart phones make me feel like an idiot sometimes. Hopefully I caught them.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As blasphemous as this is here, I would take a hard look at Holosun. Some of the new stuff they are offering is pretty slick- circle dots and single dots in the same optic, solar power, 50k hour battery life, auto off and auto on... Check out some of the torture tests on YouTube, they are pretty impressive, and you'll have money left over for ammo.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    As blasphemous as this is here, I would take a hard look at Holosun. Some of the new stuff they are offering is pretty slick- circle dots and single dots in the same optic, solar power, 50k hour battery life, auto off and auto on... Check out some of the torture tests on YouTube, they are pretty impressive, and you'll have money left over for ammo.
    I would add Vortex to that list. Back in previous post, if warranty is a critical feature - Vortex's warranty is hard to match. Plus I did see a torture test in a SPARC II that finally gave up the ghost after being microwaved.
    Straight up.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast