Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tactical Winchester 97", stupid idea?

Feedback Score

"Tactical Winchester 97", stupid idea?

Been toying with this idea for a while now. I have a 1903 Win 97 takedown in 18" riot gun configuration. The finish is crap, too many years of hard use and abuse before it came into my hands. Unknown round count, but no doubt very high, I figure I have probably put close to a hundred boxes of shells through it. What can I say I just like shooting this shotgun, and it never fails to function.

So my thoughts are to refinish it in dark matte grey, possibly stain the wood black, maybe add a heat sheild just for fun, and have myself a tacticool '97. I also have a black leather Galco butt cuff shell holder complete with Gunsite raven that I picked up at a swap meet for $5.

I know this is an odd idea, but the gun looks like it has been drug behind a truck on a cross country drive and it really isn't worth a real refinishing. I figure this might make for a fun project, and I really do like to shoot this old gun, so making it look better seems somewhat worthwhile. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If there are any '97 pros here, being an '03 model this gun has screws in the reciever where later '97s have the buttons for emptying the magazine. Is it possible to retrofit this feature onto earlier guns?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What have you been shooting through it?

Does it have a 23/4 chamber or a 25/8?

A lot of guys use them in CAS, most with light loads.

From my point of view, I'd make sure the chamber was 2/34, do the refinish and rock on with light loads. I think it would be cool.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-03-16 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    I always meant to have the chamber checked especially since it is an early model. I started with lighter loads and never saw any signs of over pressure as I moved up. Though it may not be wise, I have to admit to running just about everything imaginable through it. Up to and including some pretty hot homemade 00 and lyman 525g sabot slugs. Checking and opening up the chamber if necessary should be on the to do list. Thanks for the reminder.

I have other shotguns better suited to this kind of use (2 500s, a Hans Vang modified 590a1, and a trickwd out Saiga 12) but none of them feel as good as the old '97. The 97 feels so much lighter than the others and sweeps so effortlessly, the gun is just a joy to shoot. It's like the old girl just jumps into my shoulder and says "let's bust some clay". Not only do I enjoy it more but I also score better with it than any of the others. And yes, I have shot clays with the Saiga. Gets some funny looks but it sure busts birds in a hurry.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a chance to buy one of these in the late seventies and had to pass because of a number of reasons, but the biggest being I was pretty broke as a High School student and had a truck payment to make. I think there were three of them in my LGS.
    I might restore that one, it is a classic, shoot it and enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    but none of them feel as good as the old '97. The 97 feels so much lighter than the others and sweeps so effortlessly, the gun is just a joy to shoot.
    They are lighter it appears , though you pay the price with recoil. I've hunted with mine in the past but no longer shoot it much for fun.

There is a trick to operating them that most modern pump users would not be familiar with

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    There is a trick to operating them that most modern pump users would not be familiar with
    Do tell. I assume you mean other than holding the trigger back and pumping away. That bit is kind of fun sometimes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    May I suggest don't stain the wood black, that gun deserves to retrain the look of walnut and steel. Have somebody re-blue it for you even it has to be matte blue, but some shine to it would be nice too.

You may find this of interest--
    http://ltwguns.com/forum/viewtopic.p...8&p=2770#p2770

Feedback Score
    Beautiful work Ned. You may be right, sometimes I get started down the rabbit hole and I just can't stop. I can't post pics of this gun, it is a 10 hour drive away right now, but it is pretty beat up. Mechanically sound but ugly. Making a sweet piece out of it would probably require replacing everything exept the air in the bore.

Realistically, I would like it to look better. I found that gunsite shell holder, and down the rabbit hole I went. Looking nicer with a light touch of "cowboy tactical" is really all I would need. I don't plan to grab it by the barrel for a bayonet lunge (no bayonet anyway) so scratch the heat shield. Maybe I could clean up the wood well enough for a nice stain...

I just don't want to put more money into it than it is really worth.

I ended up with it almost by accident. I found a pristine full barreled 97 that I knew a buddy would give his eye teeth for, so while negotiating for that one the shop owner brought this one out to sweeten the deal as a "parts gun" so I took them both for about $100 more than I had wanted to pay for the nice one. A while later, I traded the nice one for a dillon 550, a redding press, a mec 650, and other assorted dies and reloading stuff.

I figure I got a pretty good deal getting an operable 97 for about $100, but I don't want to throw too much cash into cleaning it up. Sows ear, silk purse...

Feedback Score
    Btw Ned, do you know if the unloading feature can be retrofitted. I am thinking not, but I like that feature on later 97s.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Is it rusted? If not and its mechanically sound I would throw the butt cuff on there and leave it alone. Sounds like it earned that wear. But its your gun and that's just like, my opinion man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast