Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tactical Winchester 97", stupid idea?

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Is it rusted? If not and its mechanically sound I would throw the butt cuff on there and leave it alone. Sounds like it earned that wear. But its your gun and that's just like, my opinion man.
    LOL best response

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Do tell. I assume you mean other than holding the trigger back and pumping away. That bit is kind of fun sometimes.
    The trick: you have to push slightly forward before starting your rearward motion when cycling with the hammer down

Stumps many people used to modern pumps. And why I retired mine from home defense usage

Also how to properly use the half cock as safety, proper unloading procedure (unloader buttons, then the full cock plus slide release button)

Fun to blast with. A bit tedious to use much in the field when you might put a shotgun on safe off safe on safe repeatedly before taking a shot. (Dove hunting, see a bird and cock it as you point, then realize it's a Tweety Bird or your partner shot it or whatever.)

Apparently "full auto" fire excessively wears the sear and hammer as well (though we've all done it)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your gun had the shorter chamber, it would be very difficult to extract a fired 23/4 inch shell. The half cock isn't much of a safety, and the notch on the sear for the half cock would likely break if the gun were dropped or bumped hard enough. I would use it for a behind the door shotgun loaded with low recoil buckshot. Though nice, it's obsolete for a reason. I would keep the chamber empty.

Feedback Score
    Funny how you don't think much about the quirks of a gun you use alot. I see how a 97 could confuse soeone who is not used to them. To me that s just how the gun works, doesn't even cross my mind.

Whatever I do to the old girl, she ain't never gonna be my go to gun for HD. The gun is well over 100 years old. While it has never given me a lick of trouble, I am just not willing to bet my life on it.

All I want is to clean it up, maybe have a little fun with the facelift, and keep running it for fun. I do need to do something to it. I'm getting older and more raggity by the day, and if me and the gun both look like we are on the verge of a catastrophic failure I won't get anyone to toss pigeons for me.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just tell people it's an idiot lock to keep bubba's from being able to operate it

Way back, I hunted with mine. You get used to its operating pattern. But now it's just for occasional fun.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    May I suggest don't stain the wood black, that gun deserves to retrain the look of walnut and steel. Have somebody re-blue it for you even it has to be matte blue, but some shine to it would be nice too.

You may find this of interest--
    http://ltwguns.com/forum/viewtopic.p...8&p=2770#p2770
    That's very cool, Ned.

To the OP: I have an old Model 12 take-down shotgun. The weathered look actually gets a lot of positive comments.

And I know what you mean about how easy it is to handle. The thing mounts and points so naturally; it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I do not know about a retrofit of that feature and will not be able to check into it, but I have a technique for easy unloading without it. When you get to that point I think I can explain it best with a pic or two.. maybe about the time you get the gun back in hand I can find a few minutes to take the pics. Basically you put thumb and forefinger into the shell stop area, cross them like and X, and depress the shell stops.... you can also do them one then the other.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just ran across this, looks like this guy knows the '97 and reblueing:

http://www.ottawaordnance.com/gunsmi...omgunwork.html

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Just ran across this, looks like this guy knows the '97 and reblueing:

http://www.ottawaordnance.com/gunsmi...omgunwork.html
    Clearly not that you need it Ned but Darrin (owner of Ott. Ord) & I go back to the late 90s, a very much GTG fella.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just a quick note for the OP, great thread and idea! I've handled a few model '97s and they are awesome! I had lined up a model 12 riot in 12 gauge but the guy backed out on me before we met up. I will own a '97 and '12 someday!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast