I had a standard 30" 12 Gauge Takedown that I was looking to cut down to a defensive shotgun... but I changed to an Ithaca. Well, actually, I abandoned the entire project, and when I had the Ithaca fall into my lap, resurrected it.

The 1897 is a really unique gun, but it is very complicated for a pump action shotgun. Too many parts, and for the most part, they all have to work in sync. I've heard of CAS wanting three in jest; one to shoot, one to be at the gunsmith, and one broken and waiting to go to the gunsmith.

Mine was a good platform, but it would have issues with the takedown, and being a pain to put it back together. Could I have fixed it? Maybe... but to have the barrel cut down (bead added, and threaded for choke tubes) and refinished (I was going to restain the wood, and likely send it to Robar for NP3 Plus; my 870 Police was done in that finish and very happy with it), I'd be putting a lot into a gun that might not fit the role I wanted. I wanted to have a defensive shotgun that could be taken down and stowed in a somewhat compact space. If the gun had a takedown system, I'd want to use it when I'm done. I've done a few drawn out gun projects, and likely still will (just got a Remington Model 7), but that shotgun just gave me the impression of not going the way I wanted it to go. Got it on a trade for a handgun I didn't want anymore, and sold it for a fair price (didn't make anything on it).

I picked up an Ithaca 87 (37) to swap stocks for my father, who had a Ducks Unlimited Guide Gun with a cracked wrist. I originally was going to toss on a wood stock and sell it... but it was a sound shotgun. Can't have too many defensive shotguns, right? Had the barrel cut down to 20", beads added, and threaded for Remington chokes. It is currently at Robar for NP3 Plus.

While I like the appearance of older shotgun designs... including the 1897, I'd recommend a simpler design. My Ithaca has walnut furniture, which I'm leaving as it came from Boyds, but I prefer a little more corrosion resistance than the cool look. Good luck with the project whatever way you decide to go.