Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 930: Was going to shorten barrel, decided to replace it... Then sold it!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Mossberg 930: Was going to shorten barrel, decided to replace it... Then sold it!

Hey all,

I'm looking for some opinions on options for cutting a 24" Mossberg 930 barrel down. What I know about shotguns could be written on the back of a postage stamp so I am looking for opinions on how you would go about it? Initially I wanted to go down to 21" to make it a bit handier to use. Take a look at the picture below:

21" puts me in the porting so it looks like my options are to cut to 22" and lose the ability to use a choke of some kind. Or go to 20" and have it rethreaded for chokes. Would you put the porting back in?

Or do I just say to hell with it and buy a new barrel? This shotgun doesn't have any serious purpose, just a fun gun with the occasional clays and steel.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Vegas; 04-29-18 at 14:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buy a new barrel.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I wouldn't bother for 2 inches myself. Like he said ^^^ Buy another barrel^^^

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    They only sell 18.5 or 24". Door number 3 is sell the shotgun and buy something configured the way I want.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What's the hindrance on clays and steel with the 24? Shotgun barrels are fairly light per inch. Your swing 20 vs 24 won't be much faster. Borrow some guns, 18 - 22" and then decide what you like, then buy what you like. Cuting, reboring for proper shot spread, and rethreading will likely cost more than a new barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    They only sell 18.5 or 24". Door number 3 is sell the shotgun and buy something configured the way I want.
    I get the configured the way you want it, but, there are a lot of 3-gunners using 24 inch barrels; generally sporting clay shotguns are longer 28 - 30 inches.

I think 24 is right in the ball park.

Also, IDK if you are aware of this, but they will need to shorten the barrel at the solid portion of the rib so it looks like 21" was never a choice you could have. I have a ported Browning Gold Clay, based on that I wouldn't spend money on porting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience on cutting down pump shotguns has been ok, but have had bad luck doing it with semi autos. With the Rem 1100, whacking the barrel changes(reduces?)barrel pressure. The result is malfunction. The remedy is opening up the gas ports, which in my case was another can of worms. Also I ruined two beautiful Browning Auto 5's when I cut off their barrels. Such is youth. Buy a new barrel or get another gun, sir.

Feedback Score
    Does your barrel take choke tubes?
    Do you want an 18" that's been threaded for tubes?
    I have a 930 tactical. It's the 18", with mag extension, and the rifle sights. I've had it threaded for mossberg tubes.
    Want to trade?

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys. Seems like my options are limited. I did wonder about how cutting affects the gas system so I'm glad this got brought up. I may try the 18.5 barrel that Mossberg sells.

Feedback Score
    I've used a basic pipe cutter to good effect. Clean, even cut.
    Tighten, spin back and forth. Tighten again, spin back and forth. Repeat as necessary.
    The vented rib will need to be hacksawed, filed, and blued.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-...tter/999903321

Or you could get a new barrel.
    Last edited by KeithTexas; 11-05-16 at 19:44.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast