Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting down a Bolt gun Barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXinfidel View Post
    The "harmonics" were more what I was worried about than anything. I just didn't want to be screwing with stress relief in the barrel or something else my tiny cop brain doesn't know about. I think 21.5" with a brake is going to be the ticket for this one. Also have a KRG X-RAY possibly coming for it. I am OK with finding another load to shoot if I have to.
    Short and fat is supposed to be better. No doubt the harmonics will change, I don't know what the impact would be on shots. A can is going to change the harmonics too, right?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I imagine sticking a 1lb weight on the end of a barrel will.
    "Most of the things you read on internet gun websites is just bullshit anyway" Plato 315 B.C.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had three bolt guns that I've had chopped when getting threaded, and all shoot better now compared to the factory. I cut my Rem 700 PSS .308 to 20" and occasionally wish I had gone shorter, but ultimately it's a great gun. I run a Sandman Ti on it, used to run a heavy-as-all-getout YHM 7.62 SS can. I almost never shoot past 500m. I've never wanted it longer, that's for sure. I really feel like if you're going to cut a couple inches off, you might as well go as short as is useful. I just chopped a Ruger 77/17 to 17". I was wobbling between 16" for ultimate shortness or 18" for a little more velocity. So I split it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My benchrest rifles both have barrels around 22" (21 7/8", 22 3/16"). You will not lose any accuracy, just velocity, so your bullets will have a longer flight time. This means the wind has a little more time to push the bullets around, gravity has a little more time to pull the bullet down, etc. The actual accuracy potential of the rifle will not be affected negatively. Chances are, any competent gunsmith whom you have cut it down and recrown/thread it will cut a better crown than the one cut at the factory, possibly increasing the performance of the barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12