2 2.86%
  • EOTech 512

15 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't decide...

So you guys can decide for me. I've been going back and forth trying to decide what optic to put on my M4gery, EOTech 511/512 or Aimpoint ML3. I've looked through both and like both. I like the prolonged hours of use of the Aimpoint and its' durability, but I also like the reticle of the EOTech. Both are comfortable for my eyes and I think adjusting to either one would be a cakewalk. I am a civilian, not LE or Military if it makes a difference. So, what do you think?

P.S. If your vote is EOTech, would you recommend the 511 (N batteries) or 512 (AA batteries), pro, cons etc?

Thanks in advance...

Feedback Score
    I like them both, but prefer the EOTech reticle. If you go with the EO, use the AA batteries. You'll be glad you did.

Feedback Score
    Aimpoint for me, but if you decide on the Eotech make it the 512. N batteries are alkaline with no other choice and the life is short. AA you can get lithium or titanium. AA alkalines are dirt cheap and available anywhere.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've got both. EO is OK but I prefer Aimpoint.

Regardless of which one you choose, DO NOT buy the "N" battery model. They are hard to find and expensive.

Feedback Score
    I have both an AimPoint and an EoTech and, for me, Im better/faster with the EoTech...but that doesnt make it (EoTech) a better optic, though. Some of the newer EoTech's have been claimed to have QC and other related problems that have impacted their use and their sales.

AimPoints are currently "bomb proof" and havent had as many problems that some folk claim the L-3 sight to have. Given that and their "Captain Insane-O" battery life I would say go with an AimPoint (with a LaRue mount ;-) and dont look back.

BTW--If I had the cash or was in the market for a new "Red Dot" I would get an AimPoint Micro T-1 w/a LaRue mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had 512's, M2, M3's and now the T-1, I prefer it to all others for speed and ease of use and a hugh weight savings

Feedback Score
    I'm an EOTech fan (though I own & carried an M2 for a long time and have a T1 now). They are fast and I've never had a reliability issue with my old 511 before I sold it with a rifle (to sweeten the sell), though the N battery life sucked. I have a 552 now and much prefer AA batteries. AA are cheap and easy to find compared to the tiny camera batteries in the Aimpoints (unless you go with the M4 versions... then price goes way up.) Sure the Aimpoint battery life is measured in years but I prefer how fast the EOTech is for CQB.

IMHO:
    <5 yards: window is a big "ghost ring" sight (of course, true for the aimpoints as well)
    5 - 10 yards: circle works for center-of-mass hits; not looking for a dot...
    >10 - 12 yards: use the dot.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."- John Stuart Mill English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Feedback Score
    I have both on different weapons. For what I use it for (games), I prefer the EOTECH 512 - cheap batteries, great reticle, fine dot. Fast to use. If I was going to war or on patrol - aimpiont M4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I've noticed a few of you recommended the T-1. After researching it I think I can get the extra money together for it if that's what I decide on. Question is, is the T-1 as "bomb-proof" as the rest of the Aimpoint family? Thanks...

Feedback Score
    The T-1 will be just as "bomb proof" as the rest of the AimPoint line. If it wasnt AimPoint would never had released it for use. Let us know what you end up doing. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast