Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking First Hand Experience: Griffin Reece 5, SpecWar K, SOCOM RC2

Feedback Score

Seeking First Hand Experience: Griffin Reece 5, SpecWar K, SOCOM RC2

While I have spent hours over multiple days doing research on a dedicated 5.56 can and have come away with lots of solid information to get me moving in the right direction I have noticed a trend. A lot of this "internet knowledge" lacks actual first-hand experience and is simply based off of subjective opinions, biases, and perhaps some real research thrown in the mix. I've heard great things about each one of these cans on their own, but not much in actual comparisons.

Anyone out there played with all of these (or 2)?

I'm looking for a dedicated 5.56 can to go on an 11.5 upper, it will be shot 98% suppressed. This is not a duty weapon as I am just a regular joe these days, and will simply be a "fun" gun and perhaps hd. Weight and length are important to me as well as blowback. Chasing decibels is nice, but being an SBR I realize it will be loud regardless. I'm not terribly worried about mounting, as the gun will nearly always have the can on. As such, POI shift isn't a determining factor as long as it is consistantly off. I will just zero w/ the can.

Any advice from guys who have run these cans?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    An SBR that is suppressed 98% of the time is an unrealistic use/purpose of your gun.

You are approaching this from a completely incorrect perspective.

The correct answer is to a buy a Surefire RC/RC2 or KAC MAMS.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-07-16 at 18:46.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Why is that unrealistic? I don't plan on shooting unsuppressed on the SBR upper.

WHY do you say the "correct answer" is the SF/KAC?

I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am seeking information backed up be evidence/sources not anecdotal opinions.

Feedback Score
    I have a spec war k and omega. They both have the same amount of blow back on my 12.5" BCM upper and Sionics 16" upper when I use the 7.62 cap on the omega. An adjustable gas block makes a significant difference in regards to recoil, gas, and tone. The Specwar K stays on the SBR since it's shorter and a hair lighter. I run mostly H2 buffers and blue spring from springco. I highly encourage you to start conditioning your self with muzzle/can proximity awareness, you will end up burning your self at least once with the can...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 68whiskeyncoke View Post
    Why is that unrealistic? I don't plan on shooting unsuppressed on the SBR upper.

WHY do you say the "correct answer" is the SF/KAC?

I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am seeking information backed up be evidence/sources not anecdotal opinions.

Because shooting your SBR all the time with silencer will just wear out your silencer.

That isn't how they are used in the real world. They are only used when noise reduction is required.

When attached, they are heavy and long. The novelty will wear off.

The SF/KAC have a solid lock up mount with the least amount of POI shift. They are also proven designs/companies with real military contacts and these designs have been vetted in proving trials in a number of different categories.

They will have the best combination of durability, minimal POI shift, and sound reduction. There is a reason why they are the most expensive.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-07-16 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.

This specific SBR/Sup combo has a specific purpose that I can forsee it being shot only 2-4x per year, thus I plan to just leave the suppressor attached and run it with the can all the time. I understand real-world uses of suppressors, but as I said I'm just a regular dude now and this gun will most likely never see a "real world" situation. Weight and length are a concern, no doubt about that.

Through my searches on the forum, I can tell you are a proponent of SF, they do in fact make great stuff. However, just because something has a Military contract doesn't at all make it the best. Having extensive time behind different "contract winners" I can attest to the fact that not all were chosen based on winning performances.

With that said, I'm leaning towards the SpecWar K followed by RC2. Cost ultimately being the determining factor here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Because shooting your SBR all the time with silencer will just wear out your silencer.
    Run it with a brake. Beyond that, "wearing out" is hugely dependent on firing schedules. If you're not running full auto, I highly doubt your average civilian will wear out an SF can, let alone one with as mild a firing schedule as 68whiskeyncoke says he'll be running. And there's the fact that Surefire does offer a re-coring a service, last I checked, assuming they stay around long enough for that.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Specwar K would be at the top of the ones you listed. If you can accord to shoot out a good centerfire can, replacing them is not a big deal at all. No one out there is really wearing out modern centerfire cans... and if you do, you're probably running it on a 25K + host, burnt through multiple barrels, and dropping tens of thousands in ammo to feed it.

I highly disagree with SureFire / KAC cans being at the top of the game right now... I would give that title to SilencerCo or Dead Air. They're not bad cans, just over priced and out classed by other suppressors on the market. As far as the novelty wearing off, I would say it's completely the opposite. It's a rare day when I'm shooting something that's not suppressed now. To me, it's like saying "Take off the Aimpoint and just use irons at the range to save weight."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_capitolarmory View Post
    Specwar K would be at the top of the ones you listed. If you can accord to shoot out a good centerfire can, replacing them is not a big deal at all. No one out there is really wearing out modern centerfire cans... and if you do, you're probably running it on a 25K + host, burnt through multiple barrels, and dropping tens of thousands in ammo to feed it.

I highly disagree with SureFire / KAC cans being at the top of the game right now... I would give that title to SilencerCo or Dead Air. They're not bad cans, just over priced and out classed by other suppressors on the market. As far as the novelty wearing off, I would say it's completely the opposite. It's a rare day when I'm shooting something that's not suppressed now. To me, it's like saying "Take off the Aimpoint and just use irons at the range to save weight."

No

There are multiple reports of the saker's locking mechanisms failing and their modular mounting system is unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    scottryan, what sort of round counts have you personally seen through suppressors like the surefire that lead you to believe that they will be 'worn out'? I have seen firsthand cans from dead air, silencerco, and surefire with many 10s of thousands of rounds through them, and are still performing well. I am not saying a suppressor will never be 'shot out' to the point where it is no longer useful, but I am very doubtful that keeping a can on and shooting suppressed almost all the time on a standard firing schedule will lead to that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast