Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to do an SBR build but is it even worth it now

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)

Wanting to do an SBR build but is it even worth it now

Just as the title says I'm interested in building an SBR. However with the upcoming issues we may have is it even worth messing with at this point? What I don't want to do is toss $200 in the trash "cost of stamp" only to find out that things are going to be changing and I can't own what I want. Or is this a "now or never" situation where I should get it done now? Or is this type of gun not going to be phased because they are NFA registered? Just looking for some guidance as to what I should do. It's not going to be the end of the world if I can't get this done as I have a few nice ARs, but I've recently caught the SBR bug and am at the point where I have enough 16" and over guns and would like to try something different. Are any of you guys sending in your papers now or is this a "sit back and wait because I waited too long" moment. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Based on past gun bans, every lower you have should be registered as an SBR, even if you never build it into a SBR.

Previous gun bans grandfathered existing weapons.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Based on past gun bans, every lower you have should be registered as an SBR, even if you never build it into a SBR.

Previous gun bans grandfathered existing weapons.
    Can you technically have an SBR lower on a 16" upper? I thought once it was registered it was only to be used in the configuration that you list it as being when the form is filled out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    Can you technically have an SBR lower on a 16" upper?
    Yes, you can.

Feedback Score
    Can you technically have an SBR lower on a 16" upper? I thought once it was registered it was only to be used in the configuration that you list it as being when the form is filled out.
    You can do lots of "non-NFA" things with a registered lower:

1. Attach at least a 16" upper and cross state lines without additional paperwork
    2. Attach at least a 16" upper and hunt where SBRs aren't legal to hunt with
    3. Attach at least a 16" upper and sell complete rifle as a GCA firearm without NFA paperwork
    4. Remove short upper and take just the upper across state lines without additional paperwork
    5. Remove short upper and sell lower (stripped or built) without NFA paperwork

Without a short barrel, you don't have a short-barreled upper. You may just have a GCA firearm with some extra engraving, or you could've engraved the barrel and wind up with an "clean" lower or complete rifle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do not regret any sbrs. And I will make more. Process sucks but I think it's worth it.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    You can do lots of "non-NFA" things with a registered lower:

1. Attach at least a 16" upper and cross state lines without additional paperwork
    2. Attach at least a 16" upper and hunt where SBRs aren't legal to hunt with
    3. Attach at least a 16" upper and sell complete rifle as a GCA firearm without NFA paperwork
    4. Remove short upper and take just the upper across state lines without additional paperwork
    5. Remove short upper and sell lower (stripped or built) without NFA paperwork

Without a short barrel, you don't have a short-barreled upper. You may just have a GCA firearm with some extra engraving, or you could've engraved the barrel and wind up with an "clean" lower or complete rifle.
    There is so much info on these which is why I'm quite confused about it all. That said. One of my original questions was if its worth messing with submitting a form 1 or 4 as an individual "non trust" at this time with what may be on the horizon. Is there a chance that I would end up SOL if I don't have a stamp in hand by election time which obviously would be the case now. Or would it be gtg because it was submitted beforehand? Not looking for a 100% answer here as I know you guys aren't lawyers, so I'm just looking for advice and not going to hold anyone to their advice.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Submit a form. You will be grandfathered in. Even if Hillary gets in she can do shit. Just make waves. Plus if she did then it would be time to stand and fight then what would it matter. But history has shown even eith 41f recently that timing is everything. You will be in process before the election anyway. Your good. Do it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is so much info on these which is why I'm quite confused about it all. That said. One of my original questions was if its worth messing with submitting a form 1 or 4 as an individual "non trust" at this time with what may be on the horizon. Is there a chance that I would end up SOL if I don't have a stamp in hand by election time which obviously would be the case now. Or would it be gtg because it was submitted beforehand? Not looking for a 100% answer here as I know you guys aren't lawyers, so I'm just looking for advice and not going to hold anyone to their advice.

Based on previous gun bans, any paperwork submitted (and still awaiting approval) before the day of enactment of the ban was still approved.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have an additional problem in that I am planning on moving out of state next summer and am looking to purchase a couple of suppressors as well as form 1 a couple of lowers. Not sure if I have time to get my stamps before I relocate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast