Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early morning workouts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I resemble this. After years of working out, I agree. The best time to go is when you feel like you get your best workout and are the most motivated. Experiment around a bit. Over the years, my times have changed. I used to like to work out later in the day, but now try for the mid morning. Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule that allows this. When I did the 9-5 thing, I was kind of forced into a time.
    For me, peak energy is 3-5 and being self employed, can usually go when I want. I can train later if needed, but will skip a day it it requires me to workout before the sun is up. If has to be done because it has to be done, I'll get it done, but given the choice, not gonna happen.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I resemble this. After years of working out, I agree. The best time to go is when you feel like you get your best workout and are the most motivated. Experiment around a bit. Over the years, my times have changed. I used to like to work out later in the day, but now try for the mid morning. Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule that allows this. When I did the 9-5 thing, I was kind of forced into a time.
    My daily job usually forces me into mornings, but I even workout on Saturday mornings just because I wake up before everyone in the house and it helps me get my day started. If I try to squeeze one in during the day or afternoon they are usually interrupted with little ones and I just don't feel right or as focused. Again, thanks everyone. I'll keep on and maybe try what Will said and squeeze a bit of whey in early before I start. Thanks again, that's why I love this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Good luck! Sounds like if you have little ones and a full-time job, you just have to squeeze it in when you can. Makes perfect sense. Keep up the good work, yes this is a great board with great people.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's my take on the "best" time to workout:

http://www.brinkzone.com/videos/best...ay-to-workout/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    So I've been at actually working out for almost a year now. Mostly Olympic lifts now, but it started as a crossfit type deal. I only workout in my garage, I've got a bar, plates, kb's, a pull-up bar, squat rack. My brother is the one who got my started and has guided me along the way. My biggest question is: are early morning workouts bad? Everything I've read says you should eat two meals prior, but my time when awake is consumed by work and my family, like everyone else. I enjoy getting up at 5 and getting the grind in, but is there something I should be doing first? Some whey protein? Slam an apple or banana or yogurt? I can tell I'm getting stronger, I never really feel "drained", we eat right and I always make sure I'm getting protein throughout the day. Just curious as I've never really asked any questions, just pick heavy stuff up and put it down. Thanks!

I typically wake up and run 2 miles, then go about my night, then in the morning I will do crossfit. I just started adding the running bit because I want to get more cut. I think that cardio/cutting in the morning/when you wake up works a lot better than trying to bulk/gain mass or strength. That said...any work-out is better than no work-out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    For me, peak energy is 3-5 and being self employed, can usually go when I want. I can train later if needed, but will skip a day it it requires me to workout before the sun is up. If has to be done because it has to be done, I'll get it done, but given the choice, not gonna happen.
    I have found that for lifting, consistency is the key for me. if I normally lift at 3am, I need to lift at 3am. if I lift at 8am, I need to lift around 8am. When I get schedules mixed up, my lifts go in the toilet. I also recall reading about a study of similar in some body-building magazine that found some significant differences along those lines, as well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I work out in the morning with a group of men (http://f3nation.com/). Workouts are either "boot camp" or cardio-focused, and all workouts are an hours or 45 minutes. I rarely eat before a workout. In the fall and spring I will occasionally do long-ish runs on the weekend, and I will eat beforehand. I hate the bonk.

I would love to workout later in the day, but by the time I get home, work on school (in grad school), spend time with the family, etc., I basically fall asleep on the couch around 8:30.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have found that for lifting, consistency is the key for me. if I normally lift at 3am, I need to lift at 3am. if I lift at 8am, I need to lift around 8am. When I get schedules mixed up, my lifts go in the toilet. I also recall reading about a study of similar in some body-building magazine that found some significant differences along those lines, as well.
    I would be a very unhappy guy if I had lift at 3am I tell you.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I would be a very unhappy guy if I had lift at 3am I tell you.
    When I worked nights I would workout about then, followed by a run. I tell you, its weird being out at that time of morning.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    When I worked nights I would workout about then, followed by a run. I tell you, its weird being out at that time of morning.
    I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm fortunate to not worry too much, but sometimes at 5 in the morning you'll scare a few things out of the timber that make you jump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast