Thread: Thoughts on new colt

Feedback Score

Thoughts on new colt

I recently purchased my first 1911, a 1944 Remington Rand for my ww2 collection. I shot it and really liked shooting it but don't want to wear or damage it so I want to get a shooter. I like the looks of the national match, specifically the bluing. But don't want to spend 1300. What are your thoughts on the quality of the new Gov models that go for about 800 or so? This would be an ocasional range toy.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I had one that like that which I shot in stock form for a few years. I liked it quite a bit. I also had one that I had turned into a custom build, and I'm also very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    All of the new production Colt 1911s I've seen at the LGS have been rough. Personally I'd stay away. For the $800 range I think Springfield does a great job. Held a Ruger the other day that felt nice and the fit and finish was much better than the Colts I've held recently. I have older production Colts that I'm very happy with, but I wouldn't buy a new one unless I could throughly inspect it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by July4th View Post
    All of the new production Colt 1911s I've seen at the LGS have been rough. Personally I'd stay away. For the $800 range I think Springfield does a great job. Held a Ruger the other day that felt nice and the fit and finish was much better than the Colts I've held recently. I have older production Colts that I'm very happy with, but I wouldn't buy a new one unless I could throughly inspect it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    I'd take a current production Colt over any other brand all day, aside from maybe a Springfield. Unless something has changed in the last few months, most of the pros whose opinions are worth listening to are saying that right now, Colt is making the best 1911s they've ever made. Obviously the sub $1k GIs aren't going to look and feel incredible, but they'll run just as well as their Gold Cup. OP, if you want a GI look at Colt or SA and pick whichever you can get the best deal on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'd take a current production Colt over any other brand all day, aside from maybe a Springfield. Unless something has changed in the last few months, most of the pros whose opinions are worth listening to are saying that right now, Colt is making the best 1911s they've ever made. Obviously the sub $1k GIs aren't going to look and feel incredible, but they'll run just as well as their Gold Cup. OP, if you want a GI look at Colt or SA and pick whichever you can get the best deal on.

This sums it up nicely^

Feedback Score
    Thanks , for nostalgic reasons I am partial to Colt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wake pretty much sums it up. Very reputabld gunsmiths have told me the same. New Colts are better than they have ever been. Old Colts inspire nostalgia, but the truth is new ones are better made (sintering is typically worse than modern MIM). The series 80 fps "bad trigger" is completely hype. Are they the quality of a Wilson? No, but they tend to work. You can pick up the Colt Competition Series for around $850 if you shop around.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    Thanks , for nostalgic reasons I am partial to Colt.

Me too.

Sic semper tyrannis.