Thread: Question about perm caliber change on NFA paperwork

Feedback Score

Question about perm caliber change on NFA paperwork

My department just authorized personally owned SBR's as to be carried on duty as patrol rifles. We have to bring a copy of the stamp and paperwork to the range guys and its added to our card after qualification. The only caliber allowed is 223/5.56. One of my officers has an SBR in 300 BLK and wants to convert it to 5.56 for on-duty carry. Currently his NFA paperwork only reflects 300 BLK, which wont fly with the rangemasters. Does he need to get another tax stamp or can he get something in writing from the NFA branch showing that he has notified them them of the caliber change?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Ordinarily when you send a letter to the ATF notifying them of the change, they never send anything back.

He'd have to send a specific letter to the NFA branch telling them the change and requesting them provide a letter notifying him that the caliber (and barrel length too if applicable) was changed for his Dept. There may be someone he can speak to at the BATFE to get this done quickly via fax/email, so I would call and see what the deal is.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-16-16 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    Yeah...if that's a requirement (which is really dumb and doesn't match the regulations), he might be able to send a letter with a SASE and a second copy that they could sign and return.

Evidently the range master doesn't understand the NFA laws.

The Form 1/4 is what it was transferred or made as, and has nothing to do with the current configuration. Plus, swapping an upper isn't "permanent" in the first place.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 09-16-16 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's amazing isn't it? How great we are at getting in our own way...
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    My department just authorized personally owned SBR's as to be carried on duty as patrol rifles. We have to bring a copy of the stamp and paperwork to the range guys and its added to our card after qualification. The only caliber allowed is 223/5.56. One of my officers has an SBR in 300 BLK and wants to convert it to 5.56 for on-duty carry. Currently his NFA paperwork only reflects 300 BLK, which wont fly with the rangemasters. Does he need to get another tax stamp or can he get something in writing from the NFA branch showing that he has notified them them of the caliber change?
    I think we work at the same dept.. Anyway I'm in the same predicament with one of my stamped lowers. I wonder if the range guys will pull out a tape measure and measure the barrel length. Form 1 says 10.5" but it's currently configured as a 11.5".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I think we work at the same dept.. Anyway I'm in the same predicament with one of my stamped lowers. I wonder if the range guys will pull out a tape measure and measure the barrel length. Form 1 says 10.5" but it's currently configured as a 11.5".
    I'm not sure. The circular is pretty vague(which is a good thing I guess), I think a lot of what goes will depend on how well versed the range guys are with NFA stuff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We could be our own worst enemy.. The less we ask, the better off we are.