Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best spare parts to have in the range bag

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best spare parts to have in the range bag

I have been using my Colt .38 super a lot, as in my main training and competition pistol. It gets out every trip to the range. It has modest modifications, sights I can see, removal of sharp Colt edges, Magpull grips, slightly extended mag release and polishing of feed ramp. It cycles very smoothly, accurate and reliable.
    I have a spare recoil spring plug, recoil springs and guide rod. I'm thinking a spare fitted extractor would be good.
    Any thing else? The internals are stock Colt and work just fine, I find the trigger manageable.
    Thanks,
    1986s4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would add a couple of spare grip screws and an allen or torx wrench that fits the screws. If you have a fiber optic front sight, extra light pipes would be helpful.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Or better yet, slotted grip screws that don't take a special tool, but whatever you choose, they aren't a bad addition.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was an Assistant Armorer in a Tank unit as a young guy. I can't remember a lot of 1911's going down on the range.
    Maybe we re staked a sight once, but most everything was crappy magazine issues.
    So grip screws and extra magazines.

Feedback Score
    The parts I've found most useful are:
    -spare extractor
    -spare slide stop
    -spare mag(s)
    -spare recoil spring
    -an entire spare gun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    -Slotted grip screws
    -fitted and tuned extractor
    -recoil and firing pin spring
    -spare gun for any issues more involved than that...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks all! It does have an FO front sight [Dawson with a 10-8 NM rear] so I'll get some more light pipe. Grip screws are a good idea along with a FP spring. I get new mags regularly. Trying Tripp 10 rounder out soon.

Feedback Score
    Us old guys often carry a spare tensioned extractor in our wallet where we used to keep condoms.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At home on the bench maybe a new ejector and a couple of colt plunger tube assemblies. When the tips get worn, the safety gets mushie. I prefer Colt becase the are well hardened, I've had Wilson's Wilson's wear in 1500 rds. Not saying Wilson is bad but these definetely missed the oven. Since Vicker's recommend Colt, the detent spring is crimped so it don't fly into that black hole if you remove the safety and the detents are consistantly hard.

Feedback Score
    I agree with all the suggestions and might add a spare fitted thumb safety. I did have a magazine release spring fail once, but I seem to be the only one that has happened to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast