Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable car battery jumper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Anyone have experience with a Weego?

I've been reading good things about their products.

https://myweego.com/
    Isn't the Weego the Yugo branded station wagon? You know, the one that comes with a rear window defroster so you don't freeze your hands when pushing it in the winter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    Isn't the Weego the Yugo branded station wagon? You know, the one that comes with a rear window defroster so you don't freeze your hands when pushing it in the winter.
    Haha, never thought of that but I think you're right.

I've read some really good reviews of the Weego power packs and jump starters.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These things are really divided into two groups, lead acid and lithium. The lead acid variety are generally large, heavy, mostly bulletproof, and can usually withstand hundreds of uses. They are generally cheaper and it has been my experience that the very cheap ones are junk, anything above about $40 or so are all mostly the same, with a few cranking amps difference. As with most lead acid batteries they are best kept charged and will discharge naturally over the course of months, so plugging them in, say, once a month overnight, and again after they're used is generally sufficient. Eventually the internal lead acid battery will need replaced and they can generally be sourced for $30-40 depending on size. I have no experience with the lithium variety as i don't believe the cost/weight ratio worth it.

Most models in each variety these days will have a USB port for charging your various gadgets and some have an air compressor that can come in handy.

It has been my experience that when helping people with a jump about 1/3 of them say in response to my jumper pack, "Hey, I've got one of those things... at home."

I have also found that after a vehicle battery is a few years old a battery tender, plugged in nightly or at least every few days, can add several extra years to its life, especially if the vehicle is driven sporadically or on shorter trips.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any experience with the novo genius boost? I was thinking about purchasing them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Recently had a battery die in my truck, thankfully in my garage and not why I was out and about.

That got me to thinking of my lacking in this area and need a battery jumper. In the little research that I've done thus far Antigravity keeps coming up. They are rated number one on Consumer Reports for lithium-ion mini jump-starters.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co.../micro-starts/
    Winplus Car Jump

They have multiple models and are all available on Amazon, etc.

Also, can anyone recommend a reputable battery tester? I'm not much of a gear head but would like to hear from those who have experience with these.
    Thanks For the post buddy. I Need this kind of post to find the best possible battery tester for my car.

Feedback Score
    I've had a couple of the SLA type jump starters but have since been using the Power Bank type as of late (this past winter). Works better than the SLAs in my experience. There are many to be had and tried.

This fellow doesn't hold back on his testing and reviews (opinions) on jump starters.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkP...ry=Jumpstarter
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    I've had a couple of the SLA type jump starters but have since been using the Power Bank type as of late (this past winter). Works better than the SLAs in my experience. There are many to be had and tried.

This fellow doesn't hold back on his testing and reviews (opinions) on jump starters.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkP...ry=Jumpstarter
    Thanks for the link!
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I keep this one from Harbor Freight in my car:

http://m.harborfreight.com/automotiv...sor-62453.html

Very reasonably priced when you take advantage of one of their sales. You need to be patient though when charging the battery, as it takes a little time, and you also need to periodically recharge the device, especially before a long road trip. My brother has the same one and used it to fill a flat tire on the road. It may not be the best out there, but it's affordable if you want to equip several household cars.
    Well... it’s time for another PCS move, and I discovered that this Harbor Freight jump starter is dead. It’s been plugged in to charge for over twelve hours and shows no signs of life. No charging lights and no functions when I attempt to turn it on. It probably hasn’t been charged for a year, so I guess the battery is shot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bah. Throw those overgrown cell phone batteries away, and buy or make a set of honest-to-God jumper cables.

These are what I would consider minimum:

https://www.batterymart.com/p-deka-4...er-cables.html

Deka 20 footers, USA made, copper (NOT aluminum) conductors. I have these in the wife's car. Should fire up any passenger car or light truck.

These are even better:

https://store.polarwire.com/jumper-c...25-heavy-duty/

Polar Wire 25 foot, 2 gauge copper, copper clamps, made in USA.

For my car, I built a set. 25 feet, 1 AWG welding cable, 800 amp copper clamps. They cost about the same as the Polar Wire ones to build, because I had to buy the $20 hammer crimping tool. It looks silly because my car is so small, but I could jump start a Powerstroke Diesel if I needed to.

All the ones they sell at hardware or auto parts stores are junk. Made in China, steel clamps, aluminum conductors. Don't waste your money on junk.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 06-26-19 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    I've been curious about these new ultracapacitor jump starters, the ones without any battery. Jump-starter batteries die too fast in AZ heat but ultracapacitors aren't bothered by heat. Apparently you can quickly charge it from your dying low voltage battery, then jumpstart your own car.

Something like a Rezervo-RZ-300

One related nice to have item is a cigarette lighter voltage gauge. So you can see your battery dying before it leaves you stranded. I look at voltage each morning before I start up.
    Last edited by P2000; 06-26-19 at 21:44.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast