Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Just Get an SBR", They Said. "It's Just $200," They Said

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I figured out should arrive at my FFL in just a few days and I'd beat the July deadline. Life is good.
    I think this was mistake #1. What was the advantage of setting up a trust? For the vast majority of people it was getting around a CLEO who wouldn't sign and the process being easier versus going the individual route. With the new rules, that's gone. So, I don't at all see the point of setting up a trust just for one SBR. As it turned out, you missed the deadline anyway so all the trust does is create extra paperwork.

There was an additional fee for the fingerprints, photos and extra paperwork because of the new rules, including the courtesy form that needs to be sent to the local CLEO. All in all, it was an additional $200. That "just $200 more" became $400.
    My NFA dealer charges $50 for a transfer. I'm not special. This is what they charge everyone. You do have to supply the pictures, fingerprint cards and mail it off, but big deal. Sorry to say it, but your dealer really took advantage of you.

You're wait is also not really that long in the NFA scheme of things. I once waited almost two years for a factory Sig 556 SBR. It had to be made, transferred to the dealer and then wait to be transferred to me. In the end, you'll be happy. You'll also have a better investment as factory SBR's will definitely hold their value better than one you built yourself.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I built my Colt 6933 for less than $1k, including stamp. But the only new part was the Noveske lower, I found a bunch of lightly used parts (including a Colt Canada 6933 upper) for cheap to justify it. Then I watched Heat again and decided to make it a 733 clone and dropped another $100 replacing the upper receiver... anyway, my point is you can get into the SBR game for cheap if you want.

I just went through the 41P hassle for the first time last week- fingerprints, passport photos, and CLEO notification aren't expensive but were a bit of a pain in the ass.

But when my stamp shows up all will be forgotten, you'll see.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    I just went through the 41P hassle for the first time last week- fingerprints, passport photos, and CLEO notification aren't expensive but were a bit of a pain in the ass.
    Assuming you went the individual route and not the trust route, the only difference is the CLEO notification. The CLEO notification is actually better (from an individual standpoint) because they can't deny you. Plus it generally takes less time to put the copy in the mail than it does to drop it off for a signature and then retrieve it once signed.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

"Just Get an SBR", They Said. "It's Just $200," They Said

When the guys in the balcony start harping on you about a $150 brace being most of the way to a tax stamp, don't believe it. Chances are, as you endeavor to go short, you will discover there are hidden costs in addition to that $200 Sin Tax and that pistol brace might be more economical and easier than the pundits in the balcony let on
    I was in a similar position at one point last year. I was checking out Thordsen's pistol stocks and thought it may be a shortcut to a better CQ weapon, so I bought one. I even is talked it on an A5 tube to get a little distance from the upper receiver. But after training with it I decided that if I was going to build a CQ weapon, and have it as part of my SHTF kit, then I needed to build the lower in the same fashion as my other AR's. I'm a big believer in redundancy and duplication. Duplication in the sense that I want to have all the same folding sights. I want my SBRs to have the same fixed sights. Within reason I want my AR's to have the same trigger, same rail, I want my AR's to have the same grip so that if I'm grabbing my 14.5" I'm not really caring that it's not my 12". Because my brain has been trained on the same all that stuff I just mentioned. Muscle memory, muscle memory, muscle memory. So I decided to get busy with all the paperwork. I did all my NFA work before the rule change came into effect so I do have a Trust and I e-filed my forms for SBRs and a can.

I do believe in the end you will be more satisfied with the SBR - from a shooting experience, deploying it as a SD or CQ weapon and especially if you decide to get a can. So well done! Didn't mean to write a novella. Lol
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-06-16 at 01:05.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    There was an additional fee for the fingerprints, photos and extra paperwork because of the new rules, including the courtesy form that needs to be sent to the local CLEO. All in all, it was an additional $200.
    Damn, $200 for the handling the paperwork?

Even if their transfer fee was an atrocious $199, and the paperwork fee was $1, in my opinion, paying a dealer even a $1 to process transfer paperwork that they were legally obligated to complete to facilitate my transfer seems outrageous.

That's what I paid for when I paid for the transfer...
    Last edited by GrahamKAC; 10-10-16 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    In defense of dealers....while some overcharge, to be sure, I think a $35-$50 fee is quite fair for facilitating an NFA transfer considering they have a ton of regulatory paperwork they have to deal with and help most NFA buyers with, taking time away from their business. They have to keep track of progress and deal with impatient customers calling and asking, "Where's my stuff!", at least once a week, and they have to store your NFA item for upwards of a year. Dealers are only obligated to fill out the Form 3, the Forn 4 is on you.

Unless you purchased the NFA item from them, which will usually have the fees built into the price, I believe a transfer fee is reasonable to compensate for the dealers burden. Now, anything over $50 per item that you bought online is highway robbery.
    Last edited by st381183; 10-11-16 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At least conjugal visits are possible during quarantine. I spent a morning cleaning the preservative off the Little War Pony and lubed her up with Frog Lube. Now, she' all minty fresh. I know FL isn't popular here, but it works for me as long as the preservative is cleaned out first, a lesson I've learned after three new Colt products. Frog Lube plus Colt's preservative equals a real gooey mess.

Here's a photo from when the rifle first arrived at the shop

...and after dragging it through the MagPul aisle a couple of times

I also put a few rounds through it. Recoil is a bit sharp (that might be because of the the thin butt pad) but muzzle rise is surprisingly low. It also occaisionally throws off a good sized fireball! Overall, I'm very happy. Tipping the scales at just 6 lbs, it's lightweight and balance makes this little AR a delight to handle and quick to point. I can see it soon becoming a favorite. Now, if the government would only hurry up and do their part
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-15-16 at 12:43.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Assuming you went the individual route and not the trust route, the only difference is the CLEO notification. The CLEO notification is actually better (from an individual standpoint) because they can't deny you. Plus it generally takes less time to put the copy in the mail than it does to drop it off for a signature and then retrieve it once signed.
    I'm sure everyone reads the fine print but this paragraph on the CLEO Copy of the forms caught my attention..

"This form provides notication of the applicant's intent to make and register a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. No action on your part is required. However, should you have information that may disqualify this person from making or possessing a firearm, please contact the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500 or NFA@atf.gov."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I've always done it via trust, so this was all new to me. I don't know a single person who's ever gone the individual route, but now that CLEO can't deny you there might be a point these days.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    My stamp only cost $200 and some weeks, all said and done. Whatever you did is the wrong way. I honestly can't figure out what you spent an additional $200 on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234