Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Just Get an SBR", They Said. "It's Just $200," They Said

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Just Get an SBR", They Said. "It's Just $200," They Said

When the Sig brace entered the stage, it changed the role of the AR pistol from a novelty to a useful tool and a potential budget SBR substitute. As soon as I could bankroll the project, I built a 10.5 inch shorty, complete with Sig brace. The brace was fat, clunky and uglier than a thread about overpriced Crisco, but at the time, I could brace it against my shoulder and so, did a lot of shooting with it. A good number of other shooters (more than a few of them well respected names in the community) felt the same way. The ATF has since ruled that shooters could no longer brace a brace equipped pistol against the shoulder, but that had done nothing to slow the popularity of the Sig brace. In fact, several new versions have been introduced with more variants in the works.

But, it didn't take long until the hecklers in the balcony started up with "Just go SBR. The cost of brace is most of the way to a tax stamp." It made sense. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the was only $50 short of a tax stamp. Why not get an SBR? I started rubbing my nickles together to get dimes and finally had enough in the War Chest for an SBR. I started shopping around, weighing the merits of different barrels and BCGs and for a lower at a good price when, lo and behold- G&R received a new shipment of Colt 6933s. I figured for about $1100 plus shipping, plus the $200 Sin Tax, all the necessary decisions were made for me, it was a no brainer. I clicked "ADD TO CART" and gave Grant my money. I figured out should arrive at my FFL in just a few days and I'd beat the July deadline. Life is good.

"Just Go SBR"
    Hah! The things they don't tell you at the seminar. Such as, although you're having your new rifle sent from one licensed dealer to another, it still needs government approval even though both dealers are licensed and therefore already vetted. It took eight weeks or so, before it was shipped to the local dealer. It wasn't until the local dealer had it in hand before they would start the paperwork necessary to transfer it to me. It would have been much faster and easier to slap a brace on a pistol.

"It's Only $200"
    Not this time. We sat down with the dealer, filled out the forms, did the fingerprints and photos and wrote a check for the $200 Sin Tax. Then, we paid the dealer the expected transfer fee. Good. Done. No, not done. There was an additional fee for the fingerprints, photos and extra paperwork because of the new rules, including the courtesy form that needs to be sent to the local CLEO. All in all, it was an additional $200. That "just $200 more" became $400. My $1100 rifle has now set me back over $1500. Almost twice what the AR pistol cost me to build. (To be fair, I did pay a bit of a premium for My Little Pony, but I feel it was worth it).

When the guys in the balcony start harping on you about a $150 brace being most of the way to a tax stamp, don't believe it. Chances are, as you endeavor to go short, you will discover there are hidden costs in addition to that $200 Sin Tax and that pistol brace might be more economical and easier than the pundits in the balcony let on
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-29-16 at 19:55.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    they charged you 200 for fingerprints and a photo?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The $200 also included the transfer fee

I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hate to say it & water over the dam now but you could've eForm'd an F1 SBR and avoided a large transfer fee & long wait.

I F1'd an all Colt MK18 I built not-too-long ago & acquired all the necessary parts during the 30 days it took at the time to approve eForms. There was also no NFA transfer fee. Piecing it together versus buying factory was probably more expensive but I got to build it (pro in my view) & I didn't have the ridiculous F3/F4 wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Let's say a person owes the IRS $200. They hire someone to complete the paperwork and submit it on their behalf. Would it be fair to assume that the 'preparer' would collect a fee for their service?

Us up in the balcony are talking about Form 1'ing. Enjoy the toy until stamp is received then slap on a stock. My last one was $215 including prints, pictures of my big ol' head and postage.

Factory SBRs will always add wait time and usually extra costs.

ETA- Congrats on the sweet rifle btw.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 09-29-16 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    Wow ok so around where I am at an NFA transfer fee cost 50.00 and then photos I have an app on my phone that can do them and well I'm a LEO so I have my co workers do my prints for me. but even if I had to get photos its only 30.00 at Walgreens. That's only 80.00 and then at that I know places that will do fingerprints for 15.00. so if you add all that up you come to 95.00 total on top of the 200.00..... you must live in a really expensive area or the gun shop you went to is ripping people off. I had to do some shopping around till I found the 50.00 NFA transfer fee now I use him for everything. There is a gun shop in my area that charges 200 for their transfer fee I told them they were nuts in a polite way.

forgot postage I usually use the post office if it fits it ships envelope I think it might be priority ???? not sure but I know I spend about 6.00 or so...
    Last edited by BPA164; 09-29-16 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fwiw I don't see why people couldn't do the photos themselves. Just need a color printer, take a few selfies, and resize as needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Hate to say it & water over the dam now but you could've eForm'd an F1 SBR and avoided a large transfer fee & long wait
    True. I have a receiver that's been engraved for an SBR build. It'll get submitted when the budget allows. I might even get the stamp on that before the papers on the Colt are approved. Building the SBR myself was the original plan, but the lure of the Prancing Pony was too strong to resist. I'd shot a full auto factory Colt shorty a couple of years ago and it was as smooth as oiled glass. When I saw Grant had the 6933 in stock again, I crumbled

I F1'd an all Colt MK18 I built not-too-long ago & acquired all the necessary parts during the 30 days it took at the time to approve eForms. There was also no NFA transfer fee. Piecing it together versus buying factory was probably more expensive but I got to build it (pro in my view) & I didn't have the ridiculous F3/F4 wait.
    I built my AR pistol for less than $700, including the price of the original Sig brace. It helped that I had a couple spare FCGs laying around and got good deals on some of the other parts, including the LMT Enhanced carrier

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Factory SBRs will always add wait time and usually extra costs
    NOW you tell me!

Congrats on the sweet rifle btw.
    Thank you. I'm looking forward to the day it gets out of quarantine. Fortunately, the shop had a range and allows conjugal visits. I've also got a suppressor quarantined there

I am American

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Fwiw I don't see why people couldn't do the photos themselves. Just need a color printer, take a few selfies, and resize as needed.
    Even easier, there's several passport photo apps that will take the proper passport photos and you can send the file to your printer and run them off.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast