View Poll Results: Which auto round would you choose for all purpose use?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll

37 34.58%

6 5.61%
  • .38 Super

0 0%
  • 9x19

61 57.01%
  • 9x18 Mak

0 0%

0 0%

1 0.93%
  • .22LR

2 1.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were limited to only ONE auto round, what caliber would you choose and why?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    9mm for me: most inexpensive "combat" caliber means more practice; fastest shot recovery; proven effectiveness with proper ammo.
    that's my logic lately...

all pistol rounds are pretty anemic.. the more well placed shots you can get off, the better your odds are of walking away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    .40 S&W offers a good balance--plus what's not to like about 15 rounds of 180 gr JHP's in your mag?
    A +2 Round advantage and a cartridge that delivers the almost near ballistics as .40 with half the snap!

Voted 9mm. Word.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I voted .45 simply because thast what my prefered platform was designed around. I simply am more accurate with it hense I like it better.

I enjoy seeing what other guys are into and handguns are ALWAYS fun to debate!

Now make a single stack glock - with a different grip angle and I'd be singing a different story possably
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    No question 9x19. Spray and pray is my motto and a full mag + 2 more = 57 rounds down range. That is some serious firepower.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't mean to be a smart-ass, I just am the opposite of "spray and pray"... all that firepower don't do you a bit of good if none of the rounds hits their target .
    Might be good for making them keep their heads down, but it won't stop a fight.
    I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.
    Just my 2 cents, no offense intended
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Don't mean to be a smart-ass, I just am the opposite of "spray and pray"... all that firepower don't do you a bit of good if none of the rounds hits their target .
    Might be good for making them keep their heads down, but it won't stop a fight.
    I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.
    Just my 2 cents, no offense intended
    I agree and didn't find anything about your response as being an SA. Very logical as a matter of fact. If you can't hit the target then don't squeeze the trigger.

The "spray and pray" mentality is irresponsible and will have collateral damage that you will have to pay for in dollars and/or jail time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by POF.Ops View Post
    No question 9x19...57 rounds down range. That is some serious firepower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    ...I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.
    How about carrying a 9mm, and shooting it very well? Then, nothing's precluding a feller from delivering aimed, well-placed fire --- in large volumes.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    How about carrying a 9mm, and shooting it very well? Then, nothing's precluding a feller from delivering aimed, well-placed fire --- in large volumes.
    That's absolutely right. I just always keep myself thinking that I may only have time for one shot, or, under the duress of the situation, only one shot will hit home or hit vitals. I want that one bullet to be big and do massive damage Hopefully, during a SHTF or end of the world situation, I won't be limited to one pistol in one caliber... chances are, I'll have my M4, and maybe even my .308 bolt rifle, but, in a perfect world....
    Who knows, if Osama-bama wins the election, we may only be entitled to one defensive weapon per household, or perhaps WORSE...
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I agree as well. You going to be hard pressed to convince me 7+1 rounds of 230gr +P JHP .45ACP are somehow greater than 15+1 rounds of 124gr +P JHP 9mm.

Remember all pistol bullets just punch holes, rifle rounds tear sh*t up.

ETA: who in the hell voted for .22lr???

ETA 2: I absolutely love 1911s, and my SA Loaded is perhaps my favorite pistol I have ever owned. Even so, hi cap 9mms are hard to beat for their practicality.

Feedback Score
    Please excuse me but I was being a SA (sorry). I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II +2 mags of Winchester Ranger 230gr SXT. There is no need for +P in the .45 ACP as the 230gr SXT makes a wonderful wound channel all on its own. I sold the only 9mm I ever owned, a Glock 17 about 25 years ago.

I am planning to purchase a S&W M&P .45 in the very near future before Obama bin Laden bans all handguns. His crew will only allow you to own one single shot rifle. Better to thwart revolutions if your citizens have limited firepower.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast